Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Lambert already knows his first team

I heard on Canary Call last night Dale Gordon making the remark that "Lambert doesn''t know his first team yet." It''s pretty obvious he DOES, it''s the players who played against Stoke apart from Chris Martin who would be swapped for Steve Morison with maybe the addition of Hoolahan, Ayala and Fox. I think our first team has the quality to be a good premier league side and I left Carrow Road on Saturday very proud to be a Norwich fan after our team, despite being cheated by a hopeless referee and a dirty team still deserved to win. But on Tuesday I was appalled by our performance against a League 1 team, the players were supposed to playing for a place in the first team not a place in the reserves. Surman didn''t give 100% as usual, Russell Martin looked to be returning to his League 1 self and the midfield was being cut open every time MK had the ball. Next season I will expect to see a clear out of the Championship quality players and more Bradley Johnson''s or Elliot Bennett''s brought in.

I heard people saying no one cares about the Carling Cup 13,000 people cared about our performance last night and it was not the result I was most angry about, it was the manner of the defeat. How can anyone say for example the likes of Wilbraham, Surman, Drury, Smith are good enough for the prem after last night. The players who did not play last night can be pretty pleased as they know they will be starting against Chelsea on Saturday.

If its pretty obvious he knows his first team, why did he make 6 changes against Stoke?

There will never be a ''First 11'' we will have to adapt against every single team we play, hence the changes against Stoke.

You have just shown yourself how he doesn''t know his first 11 yet, claiming with ''the addition of Hoolahan, Ayala and Fox.Like the other poster said, it will vary depending on who we are playing, Lambert is a tactician and will look to choose our team based on who we are playing. There will be games where Surman and Hoolahan start instead of Pilkington and Bennet. Also R Martin will be fighting Naughton for the RB place after such a successful season last year.I very much expect the team to be a little bit more settled as the season progresses, with changes being made mainly to get a fit squad out. I expect the side in the near future to look like this          RuddyNaughton    Barnet  De Laet   TierneyBennet  Johnson  Crofts  PilkingtonMorrison   VaughanI think that team is more than capable of keeping us up, although it does leave our two best players from last year on the bench.

[quote user="Canaryfan1"]I heard on Canary Call last night Dale Gordon making the remark that "Lambert doesn''t know his first team yet." It''s pretty obvious he DOES, it''s the players who played against Stoke apart from Chris Martin who would be swapped for Steve Morison with maybe the addition of Hoolahan, Ayala and Fox. I think our first team has the quality to be a good premier league side and I left Carrow Road on Saturday very proud to be a Norwich fan after our team, despite being cheated by a hopeless referee and a dirty team still deserved to win. But on Tuesday I was appalled by our performance against a League 1 team, the players were supposed to playing for a place in the first team not a place in the reserves. Surman didn''t give 100% as usual, Russell Martin looked to be returning to his League 1 self and the midfield was being cut open every time MK had the ball. Next season I will expect to see a clear out of the Championship quality players and more Bradley Johnson''s or Elliot Bennett''s brought in. I heard people saying no one cares about the Carling Cup 13,000 people cared about our performance last night and it was not the result I was most angry about, it was the manner of the defeat. How can anyone say for example the likes of Wilbraham, Surman, Drury, Smith are good enough for the prem after last night. The players who did not play last night can be pretty pleased as they know they will be starting against Chelsea on Saturday.[/quote]

Is it really fair to make these assertions after ONE game?

Lets not write off players like Surman or laud Johnson just yet. 

I don''t think lambert will play a consistent starting XI, I''m almost certain he''ll alter formation and therefore who starts totally depending on the opposition, and whether we are home or away.

As for the wholesale changes from Wigan to Stoke, the starting lineup against Wigan was pretty much the team that got us promoted with the exception of Morrison. What better way to see who''s up to it at this level than to play our promotion winning team?

I expect to see the majority of those who started against Stoke to be the spine of the team, with a few changes here or there dependent on opposition.