Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

Only wins will do

With City now already six points adrift from the fourth bottom club I do now feel that only a win at Aston Villa will do in order not to increase that gap any further.  An aight or nine point gap will I feel be too much to pull back with or without Dean Ashton.  It is really getting to the point now where a draw is just not good enough and the pressure must now really be on the players.  I feel we really need to get this gap closed up before we can even think of getting a point here and there and with well over half the season gone it really is getting a bit more nail biting than I would have liked.

We''re 2 points adrift from the fourth from bottom club (Palace), six from the fifth (Blackburn). However, I agree that we need wins. The injury situation is more and more of a worry though.

Blackburn are 6 points ahead and I agree with NavMan than we cannot afford to let them get any further away - russian roulette with 1 from 4 surviving is not a game I want - 2 from 5 or 3 from 6 sound like far better odds, so we need blackburn and fulham to close the gaps with ourselves soon.

However getting 6 points out of villa and boro will not be easy and 2 points could be a very good result - these are successful teams who are hard to be with organised defences. In particular I am struggling to see a clean sheet for us (with our defence) from either game but particularly the boro one.

OTBC

Yes , i agree with Navman draws are not enough we need to be putting a few more wins on the board. If we were to lose at Villa Park and Palace win at Man City we would be 5 points adrift . You are then looking at 2 wins to get 1 point ahead of them , considering we have only managed that so far in 22 matches it would then start to look very difficult.

To ob1 -  No I consider myself far from being stupid but admit I typed fourth place instead of fifth but there again I thought with your obvious intelligence that you would have realised what I had done.  Either way I still dont consider ourselves in the best of positions be it 6 points behind fourth or fifth.

two points adrift means that we do need a win. if we draw and palace win then the gap just widens. however, think how many matches we could have won if we had had someone to convert the chances. well now we will have one

Why on earth does everyone think Palace will win at Man City? Other than the Oldham gaem their recent form puts them top 10 in the table wheras Villa are bottom 4.

Know where I''d rather be going this Sat - especialy with a new hot shot striker out to make a name for himself too!

I think that we could actually sneak a win on Saturday. Villa didn''t look particularly brilliant at Carrow Road; most of their threat was from Carlton Cole in the air, but that was before we had the Doc in with his height. Furthermore, the player that makes them tick, McCann, is now out with injury. Our team will be more confident with Deano''s signing and, if Hucks can get a few runs at that donkey Mellberg, you never know what could happen!

Villas home record is solid and they defend well with Mellberg very solid - without Ashton I would have put good money on the score being Norwich 0 - with him who knows we might actually score - no pressure Deano mate! The question remains whether our defence can keep awake for 95 mins rather than 90 against Angel, Cole and Solano...What is good news for us is the injury to Gavin McCann who impressed me at FCR, a very destructive midfielder who broke things up well and rarely lost the ball - showed Holt what he should really have been doing. Without him villas midfield does look a little lightweight which hopefully Damo will exploit. A win for us at Villa is probably harder than Palarse winning at Citeh - and as a poster points out that will be difficult.OTBC