Sign in to follow this  
jersey_canary

Norwich City fans in the CHANNEL ISLANDS

[quote user="jersey_canary"]Hey guys. Do we have any Norwich fans on here who are from the channel islands? If there are please get in contact with me. Dan[/quote]

Doesnt help I know but at Darren Huckerby''s dinner last season I was on a table with 2 Norwich fans from Jersey. They headed onto the Swindon game the day afterwards. So they are definitely around on the island!

hi jacko that was me and dan (the guy who started this thread). we''re trying to find out if there are any more fans around the islands, dans started a facebook page called norwich fans in the channel islands so if your on facebook sign up to it even if your from guernsey! really enjoyed that meal and the company.cheers Chris

Hi guys.  Off on a bit of a tangent here but when I was on holiday on Guernsey in the mid-70s I walked into a pub/bar in St Peter Port and there was a City squad photo on the wall from the 1950s.  On enquiring it emerged that the landlady was the daughter of one of the City players (possibly Ken Oxford).  Hope you all get to meet up sometime.  What''s the likelihood of any City fans on Herm??????

Lord horn. Thank you for your story its nice to know that there are people connected to norwich even here in the islands. The likelyhood of fans being on herm.........slim but it would be amazing. Did you go to herm??

[quote user="jersey_canary"]Lord horn. Thank you for your story its nice to know that there are people connected to norwich even here in the islands. The likelyhood of fans being on herm.........slim but it would be amazing. Did you go to herm??[/quote]Shyster ( a poster on here in the past ) lives on Alderney.I lived in Jersey 1985-87 and spent most of the summer on the beach, that club on 5 mile and in the Tenby Bars and most of the winter in the bookies and the Tenby Bars. got snowed in for a week with paul Young and "the crew" at Les Arches in ''86 probably the last time you saw snow down there but don''t worry the guy from the bookies used to walk up from Gorey every day to collect our bets and the hotel had plenty to drink. there was another guy who turned up from time to time in St Aubins wearing a Norwich shirt, he wasn''t local but I think he married in. if you also had to put £15 for the police car in the box at the parish hall for riding a protoype motorised skateboard along the prom it was probably you [:D].   Still dizzy from the spins we used to do up North in those rented XR2i''s, £25 a week all in almost disposable cars..... wonderful wonderful place, only a French chambermaid from Chateau La Chaire stopped me staying there permanently.had the pleasure of working in guernsey for a year in the late 1990''s I''ll not start an argument over which was the nicer.Odd weekends I popped over to Jersey and have to say I thought the south side of the island had changed for the worse though the north side was pretty well the same. never quite the same since the fags  stopped being 40p a pack and the beer went over 50p a pint. many many happy memories of Jersey CI the social life was so good it''s easy to overlook what a naturally beautiful and interesting place the Channel Islands really are.Oh and the beach racing do they still do it? That is fantastic the best way to spend a day ever. Buy a car for thirty quid then race it round and round the beach til it breaks. We knew of a Portugese Chef called Jesus who whilst drunk rolled one of the aforementioned hired XR2i''s, hid it and paid the hire for months then sprayed it in white primer and emulsion and raced it on the beach til it died. The scrapman took the cars away from the beach and a while later he was lifted from the hotel in the middle of the night by the police and never seen again. They''d checked the VIN plates etc and you know how tolerant they are of criminals in CI''s......[:D] He''s probably still in LaMoye yet....

[quote user="jersey_canary"]Lord horn. Thank you for your story its nice to know that there are people connected to norwich even here in the islands. The likelyhood of fans being on herm.........slim but it would be amazing. Did you go to herm??[/quote]Yes, been to Guernsey, Jersey, Herm and Sark - love the CIs but not been there since 2000.  Thought about flying from Norwich this year to show my daughter the place but prices of flights from Norwich International (sic) are horrendous as you no doubt know!!!  Maybe do the fery from Weymouth next year.

Hello buckethead.

Thanx for your story it was really interesting.

I wasn''t lucky enough to remember the 80s in jersey as I was born 1985 (when norwich won the milk cup).

The south of the island is so reclaimed now you probably would get lost. Its full of coffee shops and banks.

The north really hasn''t changed at all.I went to a party a few weeks ago and had to explain who super mario was (as I was dressed as him)

The beach racing isn''t as often as it was then/ mid 90s as I remember its more about boats and stuff now.

Most of the pubs you spoke of are still about but most pubs over here are trendy wine bars where the beers are around £4.

I know how expencive it is to get here so I don''t blame you for not returning. We have to spare at least £100 everytimes us norwich fans come over for a game.

If you ever do come over do come say hello and I can be your tour guide!!

Dan

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="jersey_canary"]Lord horn. Thank you for your story its nice to know that there are people connected to norwich even here in the islands. The likelyhood of fans being on herm.........slim but it would be amazing. Did you go to herm??[/quote]Yes, been to Guernsey, Jersey, Herm and Sark - love the CIs but not been there since 2000.  Thought about flying from Norwich this year to show my daughter the place but prices of flights from Norwich International (sic) are horrendous as you no doubt know!!!  Maybe do the fery from Weymouth next year.[/quote]

Yeh we usually fly from london and then have to get a 2 hour train to norwich which is around £150 per trip (is worth it mind you)

Its funny when you can see france from your beaches but its still cheaper for people in the uk to get to france by boat....

Still if your about give us a shout we can show the locals how us canaries do it cos its full of ''''the big 5'''' supporters over here.