Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Cranie linked with Norwich City

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Salopian"]The only reason to suppose there is anything in it is the pink''un. It would be good to hear where they found the story. It seems strange to come a few days after PL said in Germany that business was over. (Did Russell Martin reveal some weknesses last week?) Or have Archant added 2 plus 2 and somehow made 5? Is it Cranie''s agent trying to whip up business, perhaps? Is Cranie unhappy to be losing his fullback position and looking for an out? I would like to think that we could find the money to sign Cranie, and I would be delighted if he came to us, but I am not building my hopes.[/quote]Carrowroad.net ran with it last week, they usually beat the PU![Y][/quote]

If it''s BS there''s not much to brag about.
[/quote]But more than often they''re right, but on this I have my doubts.

I am sorry to come back with a slightly different point, but I have read a reply from Coventry FC quoted by several people.

"We have received no offer" or "No bid has been made".

It is easy to assume that this means no approach has been made, but it doesn''t, it simply means that no formal offer has been made by the Canaries.

An earlier manager, was it Worthington, used to make enquiries all over the place and in most cases seemed to take things no further.

My point is quite simply that the choice of words suggests that we have made an enquiry, - if they had wanted to say that we have expressed no interest it would be easy to say just that. When any interest was shown is not clear, - it could have been weeks ago, and whether we follow up with a bid time will tell.

[quote user="Salopian"]I am sorry to come back with a slightly different point, but I have read a reply from Coventry FC quoted by several people. "We have received no offer" or "No bid has been made". It is easy to assume that this means no approach has been made, but it doesn''t, it simply means that no formal offer has been made by the Canaries. An earlier manager, was it Worthington, used to make enquiries all over the place and in most cases seemed to take things no further. [/quote]

We mustn''t forget the infamous Hulse "bid" when he played for Crewe.

Exactly!

Gillingham say (several times) there was no bid for Jackson, yet Lambert says he chased Jackson all summer. Somebody lied. & it wasn''t Lambert.

Coventry saying there''s no bids for Crainie doesn''t mean ''there''s no bids for Crainie''. In my honest opinion, they are coming out and saying that to make the matter more public, thus increasing interest in the player, and sparking a bidding war.

It wouldn''t surprise me if Southampton had lodged a bid for him as well as us.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Exactly!

Gillingham say (several times) there was no bid for Jackson, yet Lambert says he chased Jackson all summer. Somebody lied. & it wasn''t Lambert.

Coventry saying there''s no bids for Crainie doesn''t mean ''there''s no bids for Crainie''. In my honest opinion, they are coming out and saying that to make the matter more public, thus increasing interest in the player, and sparking a bidding war.

It wouldn''t surprise me if Southampton had lodged a bid for him as well as us.[/quote]I very much doubt Southampton would sign a 3rd right back in 2/3 weeks having already brought in Frazer Richardson & Danny Butterfield.

Like we did with Earnshaw, Etuhu, Ashton, etc?

Crainie can play CB, RB or LB. Wouldn''t rule out Southampton being interested at all.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Like we did with Earnshaw, Etuhu, Ashton, etc?

Crainie can play CB, RB or LB. Wouldn''t rule out Southampton being interested at all.[/quote]Cranie is primarily a right back, why would Southampton pay good money for a 3rd right back when they''ve already got 2 very good ones on the books?

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Because he can play CB, and has done regularly in the past, and they are chasing a CB perhaps?[/quote]Surely they''d sign a centre back rather than paying a lot of money for somebody who plays there every now and then.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Exactly! Gillingham say (several times) there was no bid for Jackson, yet Lambert says he chased Jackson all summer. Somebody lied. & it wasn''t Lambert. Coventry saying there''s no bids for Crainie doesn''t mean ''there''s no bids for Crainie''. In my honest opinion, they are coming out and saying that to make the matter more public, thus increasing interest in the player, and sparking a bidding war. It wouldn''t surprise me if Southampton had lodged a bid for him as well as us.[/quote]

You need to learn to read, certainly between the lines at least;

From 06th July;

Gillingham chairman Paul Scally is refusing to rule out the possibility of Simeon Jackson leaving the club ahead of the new npower League Two campaign - despite his desire to keep him.

Championship duo Millwall and Norwich are interested in signing the striker, who has returned to training with the rest of the squad, but Scally will not do any business until a credible offer comes in.

Scally told the Kent Messenger: "He is worth money but it''s a question of what he is worth and we have had no credible offers so far. He''s a great lad and we would wish him well if he did ever leave."

Quite simply, we were putting in offers but they did not reach Gillingham''s valuation of him. Now compare that to what Boothroyd said about Crainie;

However, Boothroyd said yesterday: “I have not had a single call and neither has the chairman, so as far as we are concerned it is just speculation and rumour which you get at this time of year.”

So, they have had no offers, credible or otherwise. You are therefore wrong on both points.

Not really.

On more than one occasion, a club has said it''s had no offers for a player, then they''ve moved on rather suddenly.

If I recall, QPR once said ''Danny Shittu is not for sale at any price and will be at QPR next season''.

Three hours later he''d signed elsewhere.

On 25th June 2007, Athletic Madrid stated no bid had been made for Fernando Torres. Two days later, they signed his supposed replacement, Diego Forlan. A few days after that, Torres was a Liverpool player.

Not everything said by managers/chairmen/clubs is gospel truth you realise?

Just like balotelli. First he''s not for sale, we are thinking about it and now he can speak to man city:S this all happend in about 3 days. Maybe it''s something to say come and get him to other clubs.