Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Looking back over the season

In hindsight the best result of the season was the 7-1 defeat at home to Colchester. It meant that the board had to act quickly. I''ve been very vocal on here about my thoughts towards Bryan Gunn. I''m in absolutely NO WAY his biggest fan, but no need to go into that again.

I think McNally proved to be our best signing of the summer, without a doubt. A strong figure who wasn''t afraid to make such an important decision so early in the season. I heard many people at the time call this decision "ridiculous", but that decision was certainly the right one to make. It seems obvious to say so now, but even at the time, I was pleased that we seemed to be stronger for having his presence at the club.

Many people agree that it was our form in January that made us all believe that not only automatic promotion was possible, but winning the league was too. Crucial results since Christmas being the 0-5 at Colchester and more importantly the 1-3 away at Huddesfield. A weekend that saw all teams around us drop points, a weekend that really and truly put one yellow and green foot back in the Championship.

The result over Leeds was an added bonus. If we''d have lost or drawn, I honestly think we would still be Champions by now. It''s been a season full of sweet moments. The results at home to Wycombe (PL''s first game), away at Huddesfield, at home to Leeds, away at Colchester, away at Charlton, at home to Gillingham.

Lambert''s lap round the pitch was what I wanted to see most on Saturday. The players have been fantastic, but if we''d have beaten Colchester on the opening day, I think our season could have sunk into a tough slog in a poor division with the then manager assuring us we would do better next year.

Now that Norwich are champions and Colchester are out of the play-off''s, this tribunal will most likely go against us. I think next season will be very interesting. I''d be happy with a top 13 finish, but no doubt Paul Lambert has much higher expectations than that.

I would say the period just before and after xmas was crucial,beating teams like hudders 3 nil and millwall 2.0..After the hudders game,the FL show finally accepted us as contenders for auto prom as we was now 4 pts adrift of charlton who slipped up at home with a draw..the previous week to that saw us gain a point at yeovil in the dying seconds that also kept us in it (6 pts behind charlton) ..And going forward to after the hudders game,the milwall match, charlton once again failed at home and drew,and with us beating millwall we were now only 2 pts behind,so thats when i sarted to believe!

Agreed, we were a laughing stock when we sacked our manager after one game.

What a difference a season makes!

Decisive Leadership when it was needed for the first time in many a year. relegation could have destroyed us over time but instead we are a club moving forward in a very positive way

[quote user="jeagle"]Agreed, we were a laughing stock when we sacked our manager after one game. What a difference a season makes![/quote]

A bit like the old gag "they all laughed when I said I wanted to become a comedian. Well I did become one and they''re not laughing now"

Absolute touch of genius to get PL and he has, without doubt, been the difference. It is quite rare for an exceptional player to be blessed with what appear to be highly developed man-management skills. There are, of course, some examples already working in the Premiership. I have no doubt at all that that is where PL is heading. Let us hope and pray that it is with us. I really think it will be.

For me the game that I KNEW we were going up, and I think most fans would probably agree was Brentford at home.

That for me was THE key result of our campagn.

Brentford was the game for me aswell, although at the same time I also expected Leeds to win their games in hand.  Other great games this season have been 3-0 vs Huddersfield at home, 5-2 vs Wycombe at home, 5-1 vs Bristol at home, 5-0 vs ColU away, 3-1 vs Huddersfield away, 1-0 vs Leeds at home, 1-0 vs Charlton away and 2-0 vs Gillingham at home.

I''m really looking forward to next season as I believe we are on the up but, I don''t think any of us should be dissapointed with a low mid-table finish.  We have the potential to go higher though as we probably have one of the best managers in the Championship and the best up and coming manager in England.

I thought Brentford was a big win as was Huddersfield away although in reality we have pulled plenty of crucial results out of the bag when we really needed them.

I think it is impossible to say how well we''ll do next season until we know what money is avaliable, I''m still hopeful of some kind of investment or even takeover materialising in the summer and if that happens we could really kick on. Even if it doesn''t I think we may have enough money avaliable to give us a decent chance of reaching the play offs.

[quote user="Lambo"]For me the game that I KNEW we were going up, and I think most fans would probably agree was Brentford at home.

That for me was THE key result of our campagn.[/quote]Agreed. Even though Superman got sent off, we still managed to beat very organised opposition.The tension that was lifted when the goal went in (Chris Martin the scorer?) was like a massive weight had been lifted off our shoulders.OTBC [<:o)]