Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Thoughts on next season

First of all, is there any real reason we can''t follow the Leicester example and make the play-offs?

Also is it just me or is there no one who is going run away with the championship next season. Surely Portsmouth have too many off the field problems and surely Brian Laws or iain Dowie isn''t taking a team to league title next season.

I don''t know, but looking at the league next season, I feel we might do better than many people think.

I think the league will be weaker than many before and we could make a challenge if we seriously strengthen the team, but reckon we need to sign at least seven players better than we have. Lambert has the credentials but needs backing, the next season is also going to be a big test for him. I trust him but have slight reservations about choosing the right players to sign. I thought that the signings he made this season should have been made with next season in mind and I don''t think that Martin, Rose, Elliott or McNamee are going to fit the bill (I know two of them are loans so may have been for this season only). Does he know the standard required for that division? The board may surprise us and find more money than we expect, one way or another, to back a man they trust and feel could take them to the promised land. Doing their very best to keep momentum and their promising manager.

Needless to say, I will always remain hopeful (however bad things may turn out) that we will be aiming for promotion.  

I can’t imagine anyone at CR is thinking anything other than ‘we’ll give it a right go’ next season. There has been an amazing coming together of board, management, fans and players this season and the media have taken notice (albeit in a reserved way) for the right reasons; Norwich are winners once again!

The board surely realise they have a fantastic asset in Paul Lambert and hopefully he in return realises stability with success on his CV is pretty valuable for him on a personal level too. That sounds a decent ‘win-win’ relationship.

Add the amazing support here at Norwich and you’ve got an even better ‘win-win-win’ situation!

Current team spirit is remarkable – and new players will want to join a metaphorical ‘train that is going somewhere good’ next season.

Given all that has happened since we departed the Premiership, and buoyed by the thrilling performances this year with the new board/PL antidote, I’m hugely optimistic!

OTBC

PS: I agree, the teams coming down from the Premiership do not look in great shape either – we’ll never have a better chance to make an impact!

When we got relegated last season we did not really have much of a squad ,too many loan players going back to parent teams .

I see no reason why Norwich can not mount a challenge next season.

look at the play off positions now ,3 out of the four teams have been in division one fairly recently ....forest, Blackpool, Leicester .

5 or 6 quality players , and the is no reason why we cant have a good go at the championship . lets put it this way the gap between premiership to championship is far bigger than championship to first division.

Ipswich spent plenty of money and got no-where really did they ..!!!

I am brave enough to say if we keep our key players and add a few ,i do fancy our chances to be honest.