Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Transfer Window, What's the point?

Now that we have a new Manager, it is no secret that he wants to change the squad around. Sadly for all concerned,the transfer window closes on Tuesday week. This brings me to the point of this posting, what is the point of the transfer window ?. It is possible that Paul Lambert will want to get rid of some of Bryan Gunn''s new signings, these un-fortunate individuals will find their lives and those of their families on hold until at least January 2010 unless deals can be sorted in the next few days. The club will be paying wages for Players that have no future here and we will be unable to sign replacements for another 4 months. Surely it would be advantageous to everyone if the Window could be left open until March, as it was in the old days. I really can not think of a single thing in favour of us having a transfer window in League 1 or indeed in all Football competitions. Scrap it now, we don''t need it, do we?

[quote user="John Morlar"]Yes, what is the point of the transfer window, how does it make the game better?[/quote]I thought that one of the reasons that the restrictions were imposed was to stop clubs being able to ''buy their way out of trouble''.  Hardly applicable to the lower leagues in particular I agree.

It really gets me when Norwich fans (or any other fan outside the premiership) complains about the transfer window. It''s ''point'' is obvious. To help clubs like ourselves. When we have an excellent goalkeeper in our squad (as an example) like Robert Green, it stops the big clubs being able to take him off us at any time of the year that pleases them.

If a team holds on to a player through a transfer window - they can be in the knowledge that the player will be theirs at least until the next transfer window - meaning they can prepare and get on with that part of the season without worrying a player will be gone as soon as they hit form.

[quote user="John Morlar"]Yes, what is the point of the transfer window, how does it make the game better?[/quote]

So to answer this question. Yes - it does make the game better. It''s one of the only good things the FA uphold and still it''s criticised. The one rule that means ''money'' is not always everything in football - and Norwich fans are complaining. Oh dear.

In the lower leagues, it may prevent clubs from selling themselves out of trouble , we might have too big a wage bill, or we might have a prospect who''s sale could prevent administration yet the window stops us from alleviating the situation.

Do you remember the dark days under Robert Chase, didn''t we have to sell Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome to prevent the Banks from shutting us down ?. I know that it was un-pallatable but their loss was better than going bust.

The transfer window has nothing to do with anything that has been mentioned above! It was created to please the EU as EU law states labour is allowed allowed to freely move between member countries.

This would have meant getting rid of transfer fees and contracts as footballers would have been treated as workers like u and me. This would have destroyed football.

A compremise was made and the transfer window was born. Blame the EU for this mess.