I’ve been lying low for a while watching

developments and wondering what sort of shape the club will be in by the time

the first real match kicks off.

For what it’s worth, I give you my take on

the ‘state of the nation’.

I am impressed by the new Chairman and CEO

and underwhelmed by the other two appointees. I would have expected new

Directors (not the CEO) to have brought some investment to the table and,

frankly, I am suspicious of the motives for the appointment of Stephan Phillips.

I sincerely hope and believe, given their

records, that the Chairman and CEO are conducting a root and branch examination

of the whole NCFC operation.

It has become clear that the finances were

as bad as many people suspected and I wonder if the appointment of the Chairman-

a hard headed businessman- was pushed for by the major creditors. Having said

this, I don’t believe the situation was hyper critical or that there was an

imminent threat of insolvency (I couldn’t imagine Bowkett and McNally joining

if that were the case), just that the cupboard was practically bare.

Given the above, I would expect the outcome

to be a radical reduction in non-essential overhead and a restructuring of the

operation to refocus on the ‘core business’ of football!

I would not be in the least surprised to

see the entire non match catering activity hived off to become a separate,

stand alone, operation run by a ‘franchisee’ (can anybody think of a potential

operator?) paying rent for the facilities and contributing a percentage of

turnover or profit to the club.

In view of the suspected financial

situation, Team Gunn are clearly working within major constraints and are

having to balance ins and outs to end up with a squad that has some chance of

being competitive.

I actually think that, with the finances as

they are, the signings made to date are about as good as they could have been.

Obviously, we won’t be able to pass proper judgement until we have seen the new

players in a truly competitive environment but, from what I have read and seen

so far, I think Theoklitis, T-J and Gill are good acquisitions for minimal

outlay and I also like the noises Nelson has been making!

The ins and outs which remain are, I think,

the key to our season. We all know a big, goal scoring number 9, is absolutely

crucial- we’ve seen what has happened when we have tried to manage without one-

with the exception of maybe Ashton and Dion for a while, we have never really

found a long-term replacement for Iwan. Who the new man should be, I don’t

really know. For every name mentioned you will find as many people against as

for and some of the transfer fees bandied about for apparently average players

seem frankly crazy. Whatever happens and, even if the eventual signing is not

everyone’s first choice, we HAVE to have SOMEBODY filling that role by the time

we play Colchester (and preferably a back-up too!).

Add a speedy winger (Whaley?), a new right

back, the youngsters who have been given contracts and maybe a couple of the

(free/cheap) triallists who have impressed and I think we have the potential to

build something this season (a play off place?). At least the vast majority of

players will be contracted and not short term mercenaries.

We have to be realistic about where we are.

Yes, I blame DS and MW-J for their amateurish handling of the Club, yes, I

would (desperately!) like to see new investment/ change of ownership but no, I

don’t want to see the club fail or take the administration route and I don’t

hate or vilify anyone for what they have (misguidedly!) done.

In the end, my ‘stake’ in NCFC is the

entertainment they provide, my emotional attachment and Norfolk heritage so,

come the Colchester match, I will, as always, be cheering the team and

desperately hoping for a successful season regardless of the politics or other

upheavals!

YY,

A long post which I feel merits some constructive debate. Hope you dont mind hearing my take too.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]

I’ve been lying low for a while watching developments and wondering what sort of shape the club will be in by the time the first real match kicks off.

For what it’s worth, I give you my take on the ‘state of the nation’.

I am impressed by the new Chairman and CEO and underwhelmed by the other two appointees. I would have expected new Directors (not the CEO) to have brought some investment to the table and, frankly, I am suspicious of the motives for the appointment of Stephan Phillips.

Who is the other appointee? I can only think of Phillips?

I sincerely hope and believe, given their records, that the Chairman and CEO are conducting a root and branch examination of the whole NCFC operation.

Lets hope so, but the last root and branch review led to a parting of the way for the Turners. I am not sure that the appetite for chnage of the majority shareholders is so different now.

It has become clear that the finances were as bad as many people suspected and I wonder if the appointment of the Chairman- a hard headed businessman- was pushed for by the major creditors. Having said this, I don’t believe the situation was hyper critical or that there was an imminent threat of insolvency (I couldn’t imagine Bowkett and McNally joining if that were the case), just that the cupboard was practically bare.

We had a cash outlfow last year of £2.2M and this was after making a £3.6M profit on transfer (i.e. there is an underlying £5.8M problem). If our revneues fall by circa £6M and we have few players left to sell, I would suggest that financial position is far worse than it appears.

Given the above, I would expect the outcome to be a radical reduction in non-essential overhead and a restructuring of the operation to refocus on the ‘core business’ of football!

Lets hope so, but all the evidence is that it is the football budget that is being cut. It will be interesting to see how many of the clubs 210 employees have been removed when the acounts are published.

I would not be in the least surprised to see the entire non match catering activity hived off to become a separate, stand alone, operation run by a ‘franchisee’ (can anybody think of a potential operator?) paying rent for the facilities and contributing a percentage of turnover or profit to the club.

It is doubtful that catering is mnaking any money at all and even more doubtul that the vanity of our majority shareholder would permit this public humiliation of her strategy.(http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/5/1758118/ShowPost.aspx#1758118).

In view of the suspected financial situation, Team Gunn are clearly working within major constraints and are having to balance ins and outs to end up with a squad that has some chance of being competitive.

This is undoubtedly true - lets hope they are competitive and that Gunn has learnt many valuable lessons rom last season.

I actually think that, with the finances as they are, the signings made to date are about as good as they could have been. Obviously, we won’t be able to pass proper judgement until we have seen the new players in a truly competitive environment but, from what I have read and seen so far, I think Theoklitis, T-J and Gill are good acquisitions for minimal outlay and I also like the noises Nelson has been making!

Again fair comment

The ins and outs which remain are, I think, the key to our season. We all know a big, goal scoring number 9, is absolutely crucial- we’ve seen what has happened when we have tried to manage without one- with the exception of maybe Ashton and Dion for a while, we have never really found a long-term replacement for Iwan. Who the new man should be, I don’t really know. For every name mentioned you will find as many people against as for and some of the transfer fees bandied about for apparently average players seem frankly crazy. Whatever happens and, even if the eventual signing is not everyone’s first choice, we HAVE to have SOMEBODY filling that role by the time we play Colchester (and preferably a back-up too!).

No one will disagree with this analysis, but is a "big, goal scoringnumber 9" within our financial reach?

Add a speedy winger (Whaley?), a new right back, the youngsters who have been given contracts and maybe a couple of the (free/cheap) triallists who have impressed and I think we have the potential to build something this season (a play off place?). At least the vast majority of players will be contracted and not short term mercenaries.

Agreed, its great that we have avoided loans this far. However, I am pessimistic about us making the play offs without significant strengthening. In particulalr, we need more than one on form striker with goals in the tank and are deperately short of penetrative quality in midfield - unless Hoolahan is redeployed in CM..

We have to be realistic about where we are. Yes, I blame DS and MW-J for their amateurish handling of the Club, yes, I would (desperately!) like to see new investment/ change of ownership but no, I don’t want to see the club fail or take the administration route and I don’t hate or vilify anyone for what they have (misguidedly!) done.

This is the most critical issue - can the Leopard change it spots? Early evidence is not envouraging and unless they do and find a way of reconnecting with the fan base, adminsitartion is going to be something outside of their ability to control.

In the end, my ‘stake’ in NCFC is the entertainment they provide, my emotional attachment and Norfolk heritage so, come the Colchester match, I will, as always, be cheering the team and desperately hoping for a successful season regardless of the politics or other upheavals!

[/quote]

I wonder how many of these reforms, board changes and new methods of operating would have happened if it wasn''t for relegation.

I''m impressed with McNally so far and the working relationship he has with Gunn and his emphasis on putting football first.

Gunn haas surprised me with his proactive early signings which have all been well thought out, IMO. His strategy of bringing in triallists of all ages and organising an intensive pre-season schedule so that they all get playing time and match fitness is very clever. This seems to have laid the potential for a very good squad both now and in the future. Proper development at last!

All this leaves me looking forward to the new season! OTBC!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

I wonder how many of these reforms, board changes and new methods of operating would have happened if it wasn''t for relegation.

I''m impressed with McNally so far and the working relationship he has with Gunn and his emphasis on putting football first.

Gunn haas surprised me with his proactive early signings which have all been well thought out, IMO. His strategy of bringing in triallists of all ages and organising an intensive pre-season schedule so that they all get playing time and match fitness is very clever. This seems to have laid the potential for a very good squad both now and in the future. Proper development at last!

All this leaves me looking forward to the new season! OTBC!

[/quote]

Could you explain how you know this.

What has McNally actualy done so far?

Or do you believe everything you read?

Attleborough Canary,

It is strongly rumoured that we have made no up front payments - this will depend upon promotion being achieved.

DFThanks for your input! I''ve not mastered the quote function in Firefox but I think it is clear I''m following up your post...Of course you are right about the number of Directors...I changed the sentence and forgot to adjust the number!You are probably right about the ''appetite for change'' but I wonder if there are not now stronger forces at work to bring this about. I somehow can''t see Bowker agreeing to the appointment without laying down some terms of his own- particularly in view of his previous statements about the way in which the club was managed.Yes, there have been various comments and rumours of job cuts but I haven''t seen any substantive statement from the club. Presumably they have been going through statutory consultation so it may have been difficult to comment. Again, whether the owners want to or not, I get the strong impression that the new Board will be pushing very hard for a refocusing of objectives!Funnily enough, one could ''sell'' the catering franchise move as a vindication of Delia and a noble gesture by her to use her expertise to make sure the other Senior Management weren''t distracted by non football matters.....(DS= Please feel free to make use of this rationale!)I think, however we fund him- even if Hoolahan has to go (and I would hate to see that) we absolutely HAVE to find the money for the No. 9 !!Perhaps I am being optimistic in thinking we will make the playoffs but I just have a feeling that one or two players (possibly the youngsters?) will emerge as heroes this season.....besides which, we can''t go into the new season conceding defeat already!!I don''t think the leopard will willingly change its spots....but I think there may be enough strong characters within and outside the Club to enforce a reality check. I desperately hope they can reconnect with the fan base because I detest the civil war that has raged around Norwich recently...I somehow do not think Foulger and Smith will let the club go into admin. and will dig into their pockets again if they have to in order to stave off the prospect.

YY,

Good follow up post.

I agree with much of your sentiment, but lets just say, that I think the jury is still out on the Board and we will know our destiny this season probably by mid Spetember at the latest.

As for administration, this could run away bfrom Delia''s control. She is not so wealthy that she can keep plugging gaps of £5M per year and we will soon have noone left to sell. The key is promotion at the first attempt as otherwise I can see gates falling to 17,000 -18,000 net year and this will set of some major anxiety in teh secured debt holders, who ultimately control the administration decision.

This is a good thread and makes interesting reading.

We obviously must wait until, say, 10 games into the season to see how things are panning out.

By then we could have made two key signings (players I have heard of would be encouraging). Gunn could be proving to be an inspiring Manager. The CEO and Chairman could be making good noises and The Carra could be rocking.

If, however, we continue this long downturn from the past few years, the scenario could be dramatic.

We are all so keen to arrest the situation but I do fear the latter. The positives could be the Chairman being more pro-active and consequently interesting times ahead!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]This is a good thread and makes interesting reading.

We obviously must wait until, say, 10 games into the season to see how things are panning out.

By then we could have made two key signings (players I have heard of would be encouraging). Gunn could be proving to be an inspiring Manager. The CEO and Chairman could be making good noises and The Carra could be rocking.

If, however, we continue this long downturn from the past few years, the scenario could be dramatic.

We are all so keen to arrest the situation but I do fear the latter. The positives could be the Chairman being more pro-active and consequently interesting times ahead![/quote]BYI wonder how long the fans will give the new team...you say ten matches but I have a feeling that, right from the start, there is going to be that horrible, nervous, atmosphere with everybody on edge, hoping for the best but fearing the worst.I really do hope we have a good start and can start to build the FCR atmosphere again like we used to have a few years ago; otherwise, like you, I fear the consequences.