I know we have got rid or in the process of getting rid of alot of our high earner''s but haveing a reserve team this year means much bigger squad. Will this lead to us haveing alot of dead wood at the club and a large wage bill in a few season''s time??

Many of the other sides in this league seem to still have a reserve side, imo we need the ''step-up'' that it creates for the youngsters + keeping the non-playing first teamers more match-sharp. I don''t think it means we need to have an unnecesarily large playing squad, there''s always the option of playing more youngsters.

A reserve side is a necessary part of the development of our own players. By having no reserve team last season we relied heavily upon loan players who, I would suggest, cost us a lot more than wages for youngsters still learning their trade. On top of that we gained nothing by developing, coaching, training and playing those loan players.At least by having a reserve side we will see an end product which could in seasons to come save the club millions!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]A reserve side is a necessary part of the development of our own players. By having no reserve team last season we relied heavily upon loan players who, I would suggest, cost us a lot more than wages for youngsters still learning their trade. On top of that we gained nothing by developing, coaching, training and playing those loan players.At least by having a reserve side we will see an end product which could in seasons to come save the club millions![/quote]Couldn''t agree more! Last year we had no platform to test up and coming youngsters against adult teams or to bring back players to match fitness while they were recovering from injury.God knows how much we wasted paying loanees to sit on their backsides doing nothing instead of at least keeping their match fitness. Didn''t we send someone back to their home club to play for their reserves while we were still paying them, just so they could have some match practice? Crazy stuff!

A reserve team encourages us to have a squad large enough to cover for expected absences and loss of form and gives the non first team starters some form of competetive football.

I think it depends.We were paying over the odds in terms of wages for championship players last season.If some of the wage rumours that were bandied about last season were true then it wouldnt take much to reduce that figure. Lita was supposedly on a lot as was Sibierski so take those out to start off with.Fotheringham was rumouredly on between £7k and £8k - which is time a lot more than the average pay for a Championship player. Cureton, Marshall, Clingan and Russell can not have been that far off it. Throw into the hat that most of the other players have suffered a reduction in wages anyway due to relegation or even re-negotiated their contracts which is what Stefanovic has rumoured to have done.To be honest it wouldnt surprise me if we have come close to halving that wage bill already. The wage bill was around £8million wasn''t it?Lets say Lita was on around £10k a week (he was rumoured to be on £20k but that seems a bit steep) he was here for what three months, which works out to be ((10x52)/12 x 3) £130k.Lets say for arguments sake that Sibierski was on around the same but he was here from sept to jan (say five months) £217k.Fotheringham would cost around £334k a season plus any bonuses he may have in his contract such as wins etc - he was captain lets not forget.So in three players you are talking about loosing £681k and only one of those is permanent.Who else has gone? More permanent wise:- Croft- Lupoli- BertrandCroft must have been on top end wages for Champ level I should imagine so what around £5k? Lupoli the same? Bertrand a little less? If you say £4k a week on average for those three. You have two season long loans so I guess we would pay for August through to May for Berty and a whole season for Croft. Berty - ten months, Croft 12 months, Lupoli 6months. Croft £208k, Berty £173k, Lupoli £104k. Thats another £485k. I know I am being rather fictitious here basing things on rumour and presumption but personally I should imagine that this isnt far off the real total. This time you are talking about another half a million.If you take into account all of the other loan players we had last season - Killen, Gow, Mooney, Lee, Leijer, Carney, Omozusi, Koroma, Grounds and Bell I wouldnt be surprised if the total we have already cut the bill by is around £3million.Then it is down to other players wages being cut due to relegation. If the total of their wages is £5million or there abouts and that is cut by say 10% thats another £500k the wages have been cut by.Like I said its all conjecture I know but even if you took the championship average wage and applied it to all of the players we have had on the books last season I think we would have cut it by a minimum of around£2.5mill just for not having all of those players here anymore. I would guess that together Clingan and Russell are on around another £500k put together.When you start to look at it it is easy to see where the spending went wrong. Loans may well be cheaper in the first instance but they can cost more in wages not to mention the loan fees that clubs now ask for.Oh and in amongst all of that there is the managers wage - unfortunately if he has been paid off then Roeder could still be costing the club, at least Gunn wont be on as much - at least that is what I hope!