Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

What Is There To Build On For Next Season?

I am wondering what do we actually have to work with next season in terms of team building?  I can find very few positives to take into next season, no youngsters blooded and no execptional performers leave me with very little hope for success next season.  The bones of our squad have almost been picked clean.Trying to be honest, here is how I see our current crop of contracted players.Marshall - Will probably leave and to be honest it doesn''t bother me.  At times he is an exeptional shot-stopper but has dropped a few clangers (and plenty of crosses) which have cost us points. Otsemobor - Will be here next year and to be honest, league 1 is probably his level.Doherty - I think he will stay and has been solid enough this season in comparison to others.Drury - Seems to me that injuries have caught up with him and even if he is here next year, there is no way we will get a full season out of him.Stefanovic - Looked OK when he played and you wonder what might have been if he had not got injured.  However, considering he is well into his 30''s and that he has suffered his second long term injury in as many years, I think it fair to say that my comments for Drury will probably apply to him too.  Add to that that he is probably one of the highest earners at the club, I find it unlikely he will be here next year.Croft - Will be gone before next season starts and as with Marshall, it doesn''t bother me.  He may be POTS but that is nothing to shout about.  He has just 3 assists to his name from 44 games, which for a winger is pathetic to be frank.  David Bell manged more than twice as many assists in a quarter of the games played.Russell - Will stay and will be suited to (and needed in) a more rough and tumble league.Clinghan - Will be gone and I don''t blame him.  Has been good at times and mediocre for the rest.  If Fulham come knocking again with an offer for even half the amount that was quoted in January, we will rip their arm off for it.Hoolahan - I would like him to stay, he can play football but he was not the new "hero" that Roeder promised us.  Did well when he had some confidence and poor when he didn''t.  The way Roeder handled him was all wrong and is probably why we only saw glimpses of why he was so highly rated at Blackpool.Lappin - Honestly?  Who cares?  Pattison - Same as Russell, will be suited to League 1.  Whether he is here come the start of next season will probably hinge on whether Gunn is manager or not because clearly, he does not rate him.Cureton - Could be suited to League 1 but being brutally honest, he is over a hill that was never that high in the first place.Cort - Should go because he simply will never be fit enough or stay injury free for long enough.McDonald - Looks a bit of a livewire and could progress to be a good player in League 1 but we have simply not seen enough of him to make a real judgement on him.So that''s it.  That''s the full list of the senior players currently in our squad (not including some youngsters with a few minutes experience between them).  14 senior players on our books, two of whom have long term injuries and one who was playing non-league footbal in January, say''s it all really.  Our big hope for next season will probably rest on the likes of Martin and Spillane and a few other academy boys because I see very little to work with in the rest of our squad.Lastly I would like to make a special mention to "captain fantastic" Mark Fotheringham.  I never thought I would find a player who I would despise more than Andy Marshall or Kevin Muscat but hats off to Fozzy, he forced he way onto my list.  I still find it hard to take in that he actually came in with a note from his mummy saying he didn''t want to play.  The fact that he was our captain in the worst season I have seen in my years as a City supporter tells you all you need to know.  In times of trouble, players should be able to look to their captain for motivation, inspiration and leadership.  Unfortunately for our players, their captain was sulking in the corner having a moment.

I hope Russell does one , we havent had a decent midfield for years and why we ever brought that poor excuse for a footballer back to this club i will never know.

Marshall - good shot stopper - but like greeno - doesn''t dominate his area - weak on set pieces...VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELLOtsemobor - runs like the wind - but stands off too far and loses concentration - also he tackles like a girl...unreliable...VERDICT - SELLDoherty - will do a decent job - but has looked cr@p since jan - shax has been head and shoulders above the doc...VERDICT - RETAIN ON BENCHDrury - too injury prone and expensive - luxury we can''t afford...VERDICT - GET RID ASAPStefanovic - SEE ABOVE (IN SPADES) - VERDICT - GET RID ASAPCroft - THIS BIRD HAS PROBABLY ALREADY FLOWN...Russell - perfect now for league 1 - will do well - VERDICT KEEP - BARTER DOWN HIS SALARY WTH EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL COS OF HIS RED CARDS...Clinghan - CLINKERS WILL WANT TO STAY IN CHAMPS AT LEAST...VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELL...Hoolahan - too inconsistent - but will want to stay in the champs - VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELLLappin - lets hope he finally f****s off our wage bill - VERDICT - GET RIDPattison - good enough for league 1 - but will he accept lower salary???  - VERDICT - IF HE WON''T COME DOWN ON HIS WAGE - GET RID PRONTO...Cureton - ta ta VERDICT - RELEASE PDQCort - who??? - VERDICT - SEND THE **** BACK TO SPANISH LEAGUE 2...McDonald - had defo promise - VERDICT RETAINlee - can the boy score 20 goals??? worried that he blows like a porker after 20 mins on the pitch - are his legs going,,,going,,,gone???  VERDICT - UNDECIDED...martin - bring the boy back and see how he does pre-season - VERDICT - ONE FOR THE BENCH/SQUADspillane - had good reviews at luton - ditto above - VERDICT - ONE FOR THE BENCH/STARTING 11 (depending on how he shapes up pre-season)...

GUNNY - JUST GO MATE...OVERALL VERDICT - NOT LOOKING GOOD...[:''(]