Sign in to follow this  
Smudge

South Stand

Am I the only one who thinks the south stand is small?

Failure to build the second tier & the corner stand will result in a capacity of just 24000, last season we sold out nearly all games in the home sections weeks in advance & this seasons performance suggests the same. To build the second tier at a later date is not cost effective due to the construction & loss in gate receipts. This is dissapointing for fans who are expecting the increase in capacity to enable them to watch the likes of West Ham, Ipswich & West Brom. An increase of 2000 seats is going to be hardly noticeable.

Selling out our home section brought in 18,500 last season because our capapcity was down to 20,500 due to restrictions on the old South Stand. So I think outside the Premier league 24,000 (I''ve heard when you include exec boxes and corporate stuff it will be more like 24,500) is adequate. It all comes down to money though. Due to the archaeological dig etc we have had to put on hold plans for 1500 seats above the disabled part. So if we couldn''t afford that then we certainly could not afford a bigger stand. Considering everyone is crying out for us to spend money on Hucks etc then you can see we they took that decision. If they built the larger stand right fromthe off we would not have had the money to bring the likes of Hucks and Crouch in even on loan, and we certainly would not even sell out a 24,500 stadium if we were not in contention for promotion. To be honest I''ve not heard anyone else raise this issue as I think 24,500 is more than adequate. Its still 4000 more seats to fill. As for the stand, obviously it would cause disruption later on if we made it bigger. But it is being built so that the other tier could be put in place with the least amount of time/disruption/money possible.

as i remember it we were prevented from building the corner infill becase of the archaelogical expenses (600k) involved before work started on the new stand. there will though, still be the opportunity to add the corner at a later date, and also the second tier should we ever have the money. as it was we had to borrow 15million.
also, i thought capacity once the present contruction opens was going to be 25000? i think we should at least find it easier to get tickets once the new stand opens!

The 18500 you mentioned is correct, however the tickets available at the games I have mentioned will be 21000 for home fans, this is not adequate. The club borrowed £15m to pay for the stand and outstanding debts, how much more for the second tier £3-4m. The new capacity will not even put us in top ten 1st division capacities. I find it a bit embarrassing that the club will still not be able to put tickets on sale on matchdays because the ground is not sold out.
Talking to neutrals who have been to carrow road this year they have all mentioned the fact that the new stand is similar in size to the old south stand, I can''t believe anyone thinks otherwise. The fact of the matter is when the stand is complete the overall capacity will only be 2000-3000 more than before. Is this adequate?

As I work Sats I haven''t been to a home match and am waiting for the new stand to be built before trying to scramble for a ticket. But looking at the pictures on the websites it does look to me to be a little on the petite side. I nearly laughed when the City stand went up, it was so much more compact than the old Main Stand. From those who are able to go, does it look OK from inside the ground or are we all going to be underwhelmed?

I''m affraid it going to be more amo for the away fans when they announce the attendance, hardly bigger than the last one.

Norwich fans never get the oportunity to show how big a club we can be!

Of Course it is big enough for 1st division football, if we get promoted then a 4000 seater tier will be added. Without the loanees we will not fill it anyway.

what on earth are you moaning about? Forget capacities - few clubs fill their grounds. If we have an average attendance of 24000 we will be in the top 4. We''re in the top ten even now for attendances (8th) even with no south stand at all!
Freddy''s right, we go up, we expand, but as it will be when it''s finished it will be ample for div one. and there''s the corner to follow if we do sell out 24/25000 every week.