Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

THE VALUE OF YOUTH

[quote user="DEBnever forgotten"]

You indicate that Fram''s excellent initial post & further comment is based on fact & unrelated assumption - please get your facts straight before posting such drivel.

Walker returned as manager in June 1996. Smith & Jones bought Watling''s 42% shareholding in December 1997 & in March 1998 Danny Mills was sold. Walker had previously (& outrageously) stated during questioning at the AGM that Mills was a player who ''had no positional sense and was incapable of passing the ball'' (this was witnessed by my father who was in attendance). Although Walker motivated his inherited squad of players & achieved a 3rd place finish in the top tier, history has proven that he was totally incapable of building a successful side of his own. Here is a clue as to why!

Cureton was sold in October 1996, after being unable to convince Walker that he was worth retaining. He immediately realised his goal scoring potential with 68 league goals in 161 starts at Rovers, prior to further improvement in his ratio with 50 goals in 74 league starts at Reading.

I''m sorry, but Fram''s post hits the nail on the head.

[/quote]

Your post is correct DEB but it just goes to prove that the sales of Akinbiyi, Cureton, Johnson and Mills were not down to the Smith&Jones Board. Yes Danny Mills transfer actually took place in March 1998 but as you point out in your accurate post Walker had already made his mind up. As you decided to elaborate on Walkers contribution to that part of our history I can only agree with what you say. But it doesn’t go down well on this message board where posters like to remember Walker as being “Our most successful manager” and also like to slate Smith&Jones for sacking him. Your points about Walker motivating the squad he took over to achieve a top three Premier finish are spot on and I agree with you that he was totally incapable of building a successful side of his own. The man who was responsible for the success and the great football of the late eighties and early nineties was David Williams. The biggest mistake the club made was letting Williams leave when Stringer resigned. Walker himself recognised this by appointing Williams as his assistant him at Everton. When Everton sacked Walker Williams got top jobs at Leeds and Manchester United while Walker struggled to get another decent job before the Norwich board brought him back in an attempt to re-unite the fans after Robert Chase. It proved to be a bad choice for footballing reasons though.

I see you chose to ignore the rest of my post and I think rather than back up your friend Frams opening post you have in fact helped that the Akinbiyi, Cureton, Johnson and Mills transfers have nothing to do with Smith&Jones board and also that the sacking of Walker in 1998 was correct. For all that it''s nice to exchange posts with a fan who remembers history and doesn''t make it up.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="Matt H"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

You indicate that Fram''s excellent initial post & further comment is based on fact & unrelated assumption - please get your facts straight before posting such drivel.

Walker returned as manager in June 1996. Smith & Jones bought Watling''s 42% shareholding in December 1997 & in March 1998 Danny Mills was sold. Walker had previously (& outrageously) stated during questioning at the AGM that Mills was a player who ''had no positional sense and was incapable of passing the ball'' (this was witnessed by my father who was in attendance). Although Walker motivated his inherited squad of players & achieved a 3rd place finish in the top tier, history has proven that he was totally incapable of building a successful side of his own. Here is a clue as to why!

Cureton was sold in October 1996, after being unable to convince Walker that he was worth retaining. He immediately realised his goal scoring potential with 68 league goals in 161 starts at Rovers, prior to further improvement in his ratio with 50 goals in 74 league starts at Reading.

I''m sorry, but Fram''s post hits the nail on the head.

Curo did realise his goals scoring potential as you say, mainly in the LOWER leagues, he has scored more than 10 in 2 maybe 3 seasons in this league and certainly nothing higher. There are lots and lots of clubs out there that have players and let them go, quite simply the limit of 90 minutes is not going to produce many decent players in Norfolk, scum can rely on a lot of the london boys, mainly cast offs from the big boys but never the less a lot of decent players. You look at forest and their famed acedemy of Reid, Jenas Dawson brothers came from Leeds when youth coach Paul Hart came over, regardless what is written.

[/quote]

You talk about Cureton & lower leagues! - we have spent 11 of Smith''s 12 years outside top-flight football, often looking over our shoulders at league one & in desperate need of a regular goal scorer. Cureton scored 194 league & cup goals in 415 starts after walker decided he wasn''t good enough!

[/quote]

Yes he did, but then I scored 100 in 29 when I was a kid. He has scored a few in a few seasons in the 2nd flight.

Look.

ClubFromToFeeLeagueFA CupLeague cupOther
Norwich29-06-2007 Free 32 (23)122 (0)02 (1)20 (0)0
Colchester06-06-200629-06-2007Free 44 (0)231 (0)10 (1)00 (0)0
Colchester21-10-200503-01-2006Loan 7 (1)42 (0)30 (0)00 (0)0
Swindon30-06-200506-06-2006Free 22 (8)70 (0)00 (1)00 (1)0
QPR02-02-200430-06-2005Signed 20 (23)61 (0)02 (0)10 (0)0
Pusan I.cons05-07-200302-02-2004Free No appearance data available
Reading21-08-200005-07-2003£ 250000 74 (34)505 (2)24 (1)16 (1)2
Bristol R17-10-199621-08-2000£ 200000 161 (9)6810 (0)27 (1)26 (0)2
Bristol R19-09-199616-10-1996Loan 6 (0)40 (0)00 (0)00 (0)0
Bournemouth08-09-1995 Loan 0 (5)00 (0)00 (0)00 (1)0
Norwich05-02-199317-10-1996Trainee 13 (16)60 (2)00 (1)00 (0)0
Totals£ 450000379 (119)18021 (4)815 (6)612 (3)4
goals / game0.360.320.280.26

Thanks for backing my figures up.

Interesting that you comment on the goals tally with a derogatory ''few goals''. Did you ever learn to count?

AppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoals

[/quote]

Your still not getting into that large space in your head are you? He scored 23 for Col U in champ, one of season with Reading in this flight and the 14 for us the rest were in lower leagues, guess what, the lower leagues don''t have better players than the higher leagues, strange I know!

Oh, I could say that he has scored a few this year, but as we all know, he has not. If JC was any good through his playing life, then he would have certainly have played for better teams than Swindon, Col U, Some dodgy korean team.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

Your still not getting into that large space in your head are you? He scored 23 for Col U in champ, one of season with Reading in this flight and the 14 for us the rest were in lower leagues, guess what, the lower leagues don''t have better players than the higher leagues, strange I know!

Oh, I could say that he has scored a few this year, but as we all know, he has not. If JC was any good through his playing life, then he would have certainly have played for better teams than Swindon, Col U, Some dodgy korean team.

[/quote]

You are pathetic. Why don''t you build a constructive post built on the core message contained within fram''s opener. You seem obsessed with JC, rather than dealing with the overall subject & points raised.

[quote][quote]

[/quote]

You are pathetic. Why don''t you build a constructive post built on the core message contained within fram''s opener. You seem obsessed with JC, rather than dealing with the overall subject & points raised.

[/quote]So it''s OK to call somebody pathetic straight of the bat,  but descriptive swearing is wrong?  IMO you should sort your priorities out.

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"][quote][quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So it''s OK to call somebody pathetic straight of the bat,  but descriptive swearing is wrong?  IMO you should sort your priorities out.
[/quote]

I do apologise, I won''t take up any more of your & my time exchanging a degenerating & wholly insignificant debate. I fully agree that I should sort my priorities out. Time to shut this thing down & get another beer!

All the best.

The thing about message boards and their debates is that you can discuss things. Someone was talking about JC and how he would have saved us and that JC was not here is all Delias fault. SO what I choose to write about has all to do with what posts I read and what I want to talk about. Is that ok with you?

Muppet.