Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Excellent book about football & Brian Clough

Just finished reading "Provided You Don''t Kiss Me," which is a biography about Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) written by a journalist who shadowed him while working for the Nottingham Evening Post from the seventies to Clough''s retirement in 1993.  It''s a fantastic read (I think it won the William Hill book award) and a reminder what a complex and contradictory character Clough was - and it''s also extremely funny in places (such as why the team always went running on Scarborough beach).  Highly recommended for anyone who remembers old big ''ead fondly, and/or who remembers football before it became a corporate moneyspinning machine.Norwich get one mention - in the year Forest won the league, they conceded only 18 goals - 3 of those in one game at Carrow Road.  Anyone at that match?

A tv drama has been made about him at Leeds comes out in the Autum, looks very good and I''m one of those at the match he refered to aswell

great book, provides a great insight into the life and management of a great character, makes you wonder had he not drunk so much and fallen out with his assistant Taylor would Forest have built on their success