Sign in to follow this  
BringBackDarren

Just one question...

...For all those who seem to think releasing the best player we had at this club was ''probably the right decision'':

Who do we have, or are likely to get on our budget, who is better than Darren, even now?

No one at the club even comes close, and that includes Croft, who, let''s be honest, is slower, less skillful, and hasn''t made any sort of contribution to a goal in about 5 months. Plus he''s a right sided midfielder, and anyone with half a functioning brain cell (Yep, that discounts GR) knows Hucks should''ve been on the left. Croft is not a replacement for Darren, simple as that.

And on our budget of ''not millions'' to quote ND, (assuming the plural leaves us a maximum of 1.9 mil) who are we likely to get? At best it''ll be a young kid (Gibbs, anyone?) from the Premier, or someone from this division. But who''s available? People have mentioned Hoolahan, but if the Blades want him, and Blackwell has been very vocal in this, why the hell would he come here?! They have more money, higher attendances, and missed out on the playoffs by a couple of points.

And besides, Hoolahan better than Darren? Not a chance.

So what else does that leave us? Eagle? Cureton? (Wouldn''t surprise me in the slightest) Some unknown from the lower leagues? Excellent.

Certainly, Darren wasn''t the player he used to be, but regardless, he was still arguably our best player in general, and easily our best on the left hand side. Yes, his wages may have been high, but whoever we get in now we''ll be spending money on the initial transfer, the signing fee, and the agents fee, all on some player who may not even fit in whatsoever. It''s a gamble, in short, and when our current circumstances mean the pittance we have in the transfer fund has to go into funding about 10 players anyway (about 5 of which are absolute key if we want to stay up next season), we should certainly not be gambling with any of that cash.

In the current situation i''d rather pay a little more keeping an established, talismanic player than risking a lesser amount on funding an unecessary new addition. We simply didn''t have enough money to fund all the required signings even before today; now, it''s looking very, very bleak.

Shocking decision by all involved, both in the business sense, and the footballing sense, is how i see it.

P.S. Good luck Darren, wherever you go, and thanks for the memories. A true Norwich legend, in every sense of the word.

agree with you 100%.

But I guess we will all wait to see who is going to be tearing down the left wing in the future. It certainly isn''t going to be anyone at the club at the present time.

Spot On

It would cost more money than i believe we have to buy a decent repalcement. You wont get someone wih his trickery for 500k.

I don''t think he is the best player in our team, and I certainly don''t think he would of been by next winter. Face it, his time was over. Age catches up with all of us, especially our hips.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]I don''t think he is the best player in our team, and I certainly don''t think he would of been by next winter. Face it, his time was over. Age catches up with all of us, especially our hips.
[/quote]

Out of interest, who do you think is better in the current team than Hucks then?

spot on - he''s a craftsman who knows his job inside out, and sets up chances for others and contributes himself.  plenty can hoof a ball in - how many know wot to do when they get to the byline???  for one - lappin never made it to the by-line.  drury or mo can hoist a pear-dropper over - but thats all.  plastic cuts out threats neatly - but is basically clueless going forward - has he ever set up a goal, or even a half-chance.  croft has showed signs of improvement this term, but overall he lacks an end-product big-time.  as does semmy - bags of pace, but his crosses are clumsy. i hope roedy has learned from his jan errors - young, green loanees will see us down - they need experience, or have early age strength - like evans - to stand a chance in this league.  its a mans league - or exceptional youngster league -make no mistake.  so - from a footballing point of view -  hucks was worth an extra year i reckon.   i trust roedy has a top replacement lined up???

Kris Commons at Forest is out of contract and would be a very good signing indeed.

Paul McVeigh has just been by Luton, I believe he used to be a decent left winger on the odd occasion.........