Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Key Problem is with the Squad rather than who the next manager will be

Personally I don''t think it matters who gets the job, the squad we have got is sooo poor even Alex Ferguson would struggle to turn us round, compound this with the fact we have no ''real'' money to improve the squad - this year could be very difficult indeed.

The defence, is on paper and unbelievable in my opnion is our are strongest suit Marshall, Osi, Shaks, The Doc and Drury - are a reasonable back five true true there are problems distribtion and lack of pace in the centre. Plus Murray and Dublin provide acceptable short term reserves.

The Midfield is a disaster zone and we should apply to the UN for aid. Rossi Jarvis looks like a full back playing in midfield, people seem to forget there was a reason Russell left he could''nt dislodge Fat Phil or three lungs players much cricitised on this very board. Breiller Who? Chadwick and Lappin are both wide men who can''t beat a full back.

Huckerby he''s gold - but we still have no idea where to play him.

The Strikers are also poor there''s no pace, no trickery, no creativity and look to the midfield to create for them which is a big problem.

Problem is when you sell a lot of your best players, you have to bring in adequate replacments, or be sure that in the ranks of your youth teams there are replacements ready.

So its down to a case of scouting and getting in the right players at the right prices, our squad lacks in creativity, speed, experience, we have some decent professionals, but not enough consistency or pazzaz!

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Personally I don''t think it matters who gets the job, the squad we have got is sooo poor even Alex Ferguson would struggle to turn us round, compound this with the fact we have no ''real'' money to improve the squad - this year could be very difficult indeed.

The defence, is on paper and unbelievable in my opnion is our are strongest suit Marshall, Osi, Shaks, The Doc and Drury - are a reasonable back five true true there are problems distribtion and lack of pace in the centre. Plus Murray and Dublin provide acceptable short term reserves.

The Midfield is a disaster zone and we should apply to the UN for aid. Rossi Jarvis looks like a full back playing in midfield, people seem to forget there was a reason Russell left he could''nt dislodge Fat Phil or three lungs players much cricitised on this very board. Breiller Who? Chadwick and Lappin are both wide men who can''t beat a full back.

The Strikers are also poor there''s no pace, no trickery, no creativity and look to the midfield to create for them which is a big problem.

[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree.  This group of players are much better than the league position shows.  The problem lies in confidence, team spirit and orginisation - we have none of them.

The back 5 are OK but I agree some pace at centre back would be nice.
Midfield?  Do we have one?  This is where the biggest problem is by a country mile.  It''s why we let in so many and score so few goals.  However again I think we have decent enough players for league.  Anyone who saw Russell play for Stoke would have seen a different player and the same applies to Chadwick for some reason as they got here they looked 100 times worse.  Brellier was well liked at Hearts by the fans and that gives you some indication that he can''t be that bad.  Smith looked a handy player at QPR last year and Lappin is solid if not great.  There are a lot of poor players in this league, worse then ours.  It''s just other teams have a midfield unit where we seem to have a different 4 every week.
Up front I think we would score more goals if the midfield created more.  Cureton was last years golden boot and Strihavka seems to be slowly but surely finding his feet.  Brown does a team job but nothing more.  Dublin can play up and Huckerby can be a thorn in anyones side up front.  The biggest disappointment is Chris Martin.  He burst onto the scene last year and not only scored goals but looked like a very intelligent footballer.  Since his emergence we have brought in 3 strikers, what''s that about?

Don''t get me wrong we don''t have many great players but then neither do a lot of the teams in this league.  A good manager will turn this team around, if only to mid-table.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote]

Can''t agree more!

I dont have a clue how some people think we have the players to mount a serious promotion challenge and with the current crop of players I feel we would be a bottom half league 1 side.

I have heard Bally Smart is doing really well at the MK Dons and I would love him to come back here now. But for his own sake I would advise him to sign for the Dons on a permanent basis as when I watched them demolish Lincoln 4-0 they looked much better than us and if we go down and they go up they will be a much stronger force than us next season. So if the Dons are better than us then our players are obviously not up to it.