Sign in to follow this  
Pieman

Most of the world is against us . . .

Having been reading many football forums over the last couple of months, I am astonished that literally no-one give us a hope of staying up. I know we are favourites for the drop, but surely people should take in to account the manor in which we took the D1 title last year, scoring goals for fun and with a seriously mean back 5. Don''t get me wrong, I think people are playing into our hands by underestimating us, but a bit of respect would be nice !

This is to be expected - after all, other than those of us that directly support the team, who would know about us - we''re infrequently on telly, even in East Anglia, rarely mentioned in the national press.

Ask the average football fan about us and they''ll respond with Delia, Huckerby and not much more. So no surprises that we''re unrated.

But thats all about to change.

We''ll be propelled into the limelight, people will begin to take notice and will respect us because of our spirit and approach.

If we make it, then we''ll be remembered - and if we fail we''ll be quickly forgotton (by the masses).

And I don''t think we''ll be forgotton.

It''s always been the same Pieman, and it does bother me too.

I remember a program on Channel 4 about a year and a half ago where four people discussed sport. They were examining teams who were top of the Premiership at Xmas who then went onto win it. The list predictably contained plenty of Man Utd and Arsenal, the one unusual entry was of course when Norwich were top of the Premiership at Xmas in ''93. They all scoffed and commented things like ''They probably got relegated'' or ''That must be an error''.

Why is this?

Because the very next year, we did get relegated.

It''s time to rip up the script, throw away the rule book and finish top ten.

Remember the Greek / Norwich fighting team spirit

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!! Don''t compare us to Greece. Crikey, I was waiting for the first person to do that. Greece played negatively and lucked there way to winning by playing dull football.
I''d rather see Norwich lose than play like Greece.

The point I was making above is that Norwich are, usually, simply disregarded by the media.
Fair enough, we were relegated the next season, but we finished 3rd that season. Very rarely is that recognised. It annoys me that Norwich is largely ignored as a club.

But I agree with you ''At Last'', it is time to rip up that old script. It''s the dawn of a new era, I''m looking forward to the challenge.

But Greece played to the limit of their resources, with generally average players- no stars - with a clear game plan based around a determined and dogged defence. Tell the Greek supporters it was boring - they won''t believe you.

Personally, I do see the analogy. I see the limited resources. I see a resolute defence. I see a rich team spirit.

If we can achieve in the Premiership the equivalent of Greece''s success then that''ll do for me.

Greece most certainly did not luck out in Portugal. They played good football, neat passing, good control, good movement of players and ball, good organisation, and a great team spirit. That ain''t luck. They didn''t hack opposition strikers down, or cheat (much). And this IS just the way City played in their heyday, and we''re getting back there. Still a little way off those days technique-wise and movement-wise, but I''m confident that will improve.