Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Play local sides

One way of getting more games for the reserves would be to play local teams like Diss, Yarmouth, Lowestoft, etc. more than just the pre-season games they presently try to play. It would give the small clubs much need revenue, allow fans who find it awkward to see City regularly and reduce City''s travel costs. It may even be a way to check out local talent. Not sure if the FA would allow it though, there must be some stupid rule to prevent it.

It would be an idea to play local sides but the problem with the current Reserve set-up is that it is not strong enough (and not enough games) so I can''t really see that playing the likes of Diss would really be the answer and our best non league side, the Linnets, already have too many fixtures in any given season as it is.

The current set-up does seem a little odd.  You''d imagine that the answer would indeed be a Championship Reserve league (or similar); I''m sure they did look at this but decided against on cost - but you''d have thought it could be organised into North and South, or whatever?   As it stands, sides like Watford, QPR, Palace, Soton, Charlton are in a different Pontins league - I''m not sure why they don''t just merge ours with theirs, it would be much stronger and we''d have more games.