Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Well here we go!

So looks like last transfer action for us is done and Andy Hughes departs to a club with -15pts, good luck son you are gonna need it!.

However  we need some too I am afraid. Like most City fans I have watched the transfer comings and goings with increasing concern since the only person on the planet who can not see our back four just are not up to the job is our manager Mr Grant. We now have masses of attackers and midfielders and even enough goalkeepers to stand in a row across one goalmouth, but the back four is little changed from last year and probably more importantly apart from Dion we just dont have any experienced reserves. I am sorry but it just isnt good enough and trying to bring in late loans etc just will not do when we have leaked a multitude of goals in the first few matches.

Fair dues to Grant he has got some good looking transfer deals but as many on this board keep saying where is our centre back cover. I have now gone from optimism to shear panic. I have watched too many mediocre teams tear Doherty and Shackell too pieces, and I can still see in the pre-season match the West Ham attack making our defence look like Keystone Kops!

I hope I am wrong but I predict we will lose 3-1 at Preston, the only hope I have against this is Marshall plays a blinder. One things for certain Grant can blame no one but himself from now on. This is his team and I fear he has left it far too late to build a team that start well. Unlike some on this board I will be delighted if I am proven wrong and we romp home at Preston, On the Ball City!

As I type this it is August 9th (just)Transfer window shuts August 31st at midnight sothe last transfer action is hardly ''sone'' (and anyway, Gallacher''s still here - he''ll be next to go!)I agree we need cover in defence but there is still time - I''m sure Grant is well aware of the siutation.

I didn''t get a chance to see Marshall play last season, but from what I can gather the defence did a better job in front of him than in front of Gall - they certainly seemed to be a bit more spacially aware in front of Warner. Not suggesting that this is in any way mitigation for the lack of movement on the defender front, but...

Dare I suggest that PG believes that the incumbants and the current crop of fresh talent waiting in the wings are good enough in front of a goalkeeper that can actually help the defence by talking to them? It would certainly look that way at the moment...

<ducks for cover [:P]>

The other question that''s been bugging me is to do with the transfer window. I know it closes on the 31st August, but is that "europe-wide" or just within England - I mean, can we still buy in Scottish talent after this date?

Ben

(Still be happier with the Doc and Drury being cover for a more predictable pair...)

I too hoped to see some final transfer action this week and am very dissapointed that we have not done more to bring in the much needed cover for the defence. Especially since we let Hughes and Colin go. Colin was at least a capable defender who linked up well going forward with Croft and I don''t see why we couldn''t at least keep him for cover, now we have noone in reserve. As for the CB''s while Shackell has the potential to be a good defender I still find him too inexperienced and naive, and the Doc just simply is not good enough, while he can put in some good performances on the odd occasion that simply isn''t good enough. If Grant has any sense this weekend it will be Dublin and Shackell at the back but I doubt it, donkey will be there and I shall be praying that we can just hold out and get a draw.Grant will need to get some Defenders in asap before the transfer window closes, even if he can only get one decent player in it may be enough to tighten things up. Then we can still strenghten by bringing in some loan signings, which have already shown that they can be an excellent asset, if the right ones are brought in. Hopefully we can then sign them on long term or at least it will give us the time to search for others.Anyway, like is said above, while I fear the worst for tomorrow, I sincerely hope Norwich proves me wrong! OTBC