Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Houston: We Have a Problem

I''m back from 2 weeks away, but near enough to know the basics if not the detail of whats been happening back hear.

Etuhu''s gone, and will be missed, we sign Smith Great, he gets injured, typical. We still need to spend the money and if we dont i''ll be eating my words.

Yes, we''ve spent more than some said, but not as much as i expected considering the outgoings as well. I''m beginning to have serious doubts about the ambition, and although i have yet to join the smudger bandwagon if things dont improve then i might well do so. We are clearly a centre back short, we are clearly 1 if not 2 midfielders short and wupdeedo, all out strikers have scored. I would like to be the 1st to congratulate Chris Brown and co for their sterling efforts in scoring against postmen bakers, butchers and candlestickmakwers from lowestoft. Nothing to get excited about.

Nor is our central defence. I was convinced 2 weeks back that one of the last problem areas would be filled, that PG would unveil davenport or someone of that ilk with the cash we have. Shackall alongside him at the back, and with the adition of marshall, otsemobor and defensive brellier.. Leaky defence problem solved. Unfortunately this hasnt happened, can i remind our ''really ambitous board'' (sarcasm), that our defence was leakier than a broken tap, leakier than the likes of Barnsley i think, only saved by more Hucks magic and the emergence of martin after christmas. Dublin''s past it, fonkerty is awaful.

Our Midfield: We need someone quick. Etuhu''s jumped ship, surely we could see it coming with the release clause. We didnt line up a replacement, we waited for the ineviatble and now were panicking. And i now get an image of Doomcaster, in a Scrooge Like Counting house, slowly counting at least £3 Million worth of pennies - our transfer kitty - never to be seen again. We need to spend and quick. Safri, doesnt sound committed and is certainly unreliable, with injuries and his african excursions this season. We have Smith, but if he recovers from inury he''ll still be gone by the time safri departs. That leaves fozzy, spillane, and i suppose chadwick, not a combo that at the moment is likely to even get us in the top half. Dare i say / mention a relegation dogfight?

We''ve missed out on players once again or just dont appear interested. Lee Hendrie could have perhaps replaced etuhu, or certainly added strength. Doncaster probably wanted to keep his pennies, watch the wage bill; perhaps ifr his name was Lee Hendry, scottish sounding then we mghit have went for him. Dean sinclar''s another one i''ve noticed as moved. £125,000, cheap wages and charlton with their players and ambition still want him. I know he''s ex norwich but a goalscoring midfielder, we need one!. I''ve already mentioned we needa centre half, well two have been available - ones already gone. Leon Barnet has gone to Wba for £2 Million or so, but theres still hope nut only if we act now. I read yesterday that Sam Sodge is available for 500k, he looked good hear with west brom. Sign him up, Granty

Oh, and Neil Doncaster is getting on my nerves. Moaning at Hucks in the press, telling him to do his talkin on the pitch. He has, constantly for 4 years, carried us at times, he deserves more than a cash happy, negative board, who make excuses time and again and make promises yet deliver so little. Hucks, should escape from Carrow Road, but he wont because he''s committed, has passion, and wants success, and knows football. Something our board dont, they are clueless, and to be honest couldnt organise a p**s ** (dont want this long post deleted by mods!!!) in a brewery no matter run a Football club.

There should be money there to spend on wages for top players also. High earners such as thorne, fleming, mcvigh, Earnshaw, Louis-jean as well hendo and some others. Only Brellier and Marshall out of the summer buys can be on largish wages i would have thought. Prudence with ambition more like ''make sure we directors have our luxuries'' then we''ll think about football!

What are your thoughts?

I agree with virtually everything you have said.

Leaky defence needs urgent attention, don''t forget we don''t want to be "bedding in" a new centre-half for the first couple of games, we need him now to get some training and the last couple of pre-season games under his belt.

Midfielder ditto, Etuhu''s permanent replacement should be here by now.

Mark .Y.

I agree completely. Once again we''ve been linked with a large number of highly sort-after players and we haven''t managed to sign any of them. We have no players of any real value left in the squad. Our summer signings, IMO, are a string of maybes that haven''t exactly filled me with excitement. How many of our summer signings would fans from any of the bigger clubs in our division be jealous of? It''s time to spend some real money.

Unfortunately, as we are, I can''t see us finishing much into the top half the table.

I''m definitely in agreement with what''s been mentioned in your post Tartan.  I think with the exception of Cureton, all of our summer singings are relatively unproven at this level in this country.  I guess it''s a case of giving them a go and seeing if it works out.  But in the mean time, further additions to the squad are needed, particularly in centre defense and midfield.

I agree with the need for another central defender, and some good candidates have been mentioned. I hope that PG has noticed this and will do something about it. It was no great surprise that a back four of Hughes, Dion, Doc  and  Drury conceded two gaols against Zwolle. Also missing, slightly of concern, was Brellier, who if fit would surely provide cover for the defence.Too many times last season we conceded goals to defenders and midfielders, - I haven''t counted, but it would not surpriseme if it was the majority of gaols against us. Some were from set pieces, with the back four markuing strikers or on the goal line, but many were from midfield attacks which cut through our midfield worryingly easily. I hope that Brellier will reduce this threat, and I rate him more able at breaking up attacks and supplying our players than Safri is. From time to time, when ihe s is injured or suspended, we shall miss him crucially, but when he is playing we shall be a meaner defence.My concern, however, is not just with central defence. At right back there is little effective cover for Otse, and ditto for Drury. They both have to be playing if the defence is to be tight.