Sign in to follow this  
CaliYellow

By way of an introduction...

I suppose it''s the digital equivalent of "long-time listener, first-time caller," but here I am finally posting after a few years of reading the boards, on and off. So do allow me to say a big hello to everyone; I''ve enjoyed reading your thoughts, and I''ve been right here along with you scrutinising the fixture list, wondering about the hotel development, agonising over various knocks, and perhaps most importantly, pouring over transfer gossip these past few years. As for that, what can I say? I guess I''ve always been more of a listener and a reader, than a talker or a writer.

I suppose it''s only fair to provide a bit of background on myself: I first saw Norwich City in 1993 at a tournament in Denver, Colorado. They played against the local team, the Foxes (and lost 3-2 to the home side, if you can believe it), FC Kaiserlautern (the eventual champions), and FC Copenhagen. It was there that I caught my first glimpses of the Yellows. Roughly a decade later, I studied abroad in Norwich and had the privilege of visiting Carrow Rd. for every home game that I could afford on my student budget and, as luck would have it, my first game in attendance was actually a stop on Ruel Fox''s farewell tour when WBA came to town (which, for me, brought it all full-circle rather nicely). That NCFC spoiled the party made it that much sweeter. I''ll never forget the shouts of, "Megson, what''s the score?" that rang out all over the ground, or the great applause for Ruel as he emerged from the subs bench to briefly silence us with a late (and very narrow) free kick miss that would''ve pulled them level. I''ve since relocated back to the States, but I still can''t shake my love for the Canaries, the songs, or the ground, and never would I want to.

So why post now? Well, oddly enough, it was this advertisement that spurred me to it. Yes, yes, I know it''s the modern game and players move and so forth, but I was still struck by WHUFC using two former Norwich players for their ''loyalty'' card. A little dose of pixelated irony (at its finest), I suppose, and I just wanted to share with those who might not have seen it.

A shame that the link does not work on the PC I am using at the moment - I shall try when I return home.

A warm welcome to you. There is nothing like international interest in a club whose roots are in foreign blood - who gave us our nickname no less.

My only warning is to take a few comments on here with a pinch of salt. Although I am sure you are quite familiar with all of that by now having read/watched the site for a while.

Maybe you could also comment on the David Beckham thread. It would be interesting to see what the American perspective of his imposing impact on American Soccer will be.

Having seen the highlights of their last game for which he was an un-used sub on the bench I am beggining to wonder if I should apply for trials come the close season! I certainly couldn''t defend any worse than that!