Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

who can we really afford?

people have come up with players names who they would like to see playing for city, but how many of them are realistically going to be affordable with wage demands, clauses etc? would it be such a bad thing if we shopped around the lower divisions or scotland? remember some of the bargains we picked up in the 80s when we went through a rebuilding phase, the likes of bruce, phelan drinkell  all came from the lower divisions and look what they went on to achieve.

alot of team also look to the premiership youngsters. i.e arsenal and man u where these lads are good but not good enough for these teams good enough for city?most likely.

The lower and reserve leagues is the way to go. Don''t wait until they are worth a bomb before you sign them....and sort the wheat from the chaff regularly via transfers. Pretty much like it was in the Chase era.......

Norwich used to be great at picking out bargains in the lower leagues and/or reserves. Think Crook, Bowen, Culverhouse, Bruce etc. Norwich were always great in that department, but things have gone stale in recent years in finding fresh[ish] talent.

These days, we end up paying 500K plus for mediocrity, which is of little use to the club and a drain on our finances. I''m not expecting much this January, as I think the club will try to muddle through until the end of the season as there is no realistic chance of promotion. I think everyone at the club knows that, least of all Grant.

[quote user="baldyboy"]people have come up with players names who they would like to see playing for city, but how many of them are realistically going to be affordable with wage demands, clauses etc? would it be such a bad thing if we shopped around the lower divisions or scotland? remember some of the bargains we picked up in the 80s when we went through a rebuilding phase, the likes of bruce, phelan drinkell  all came from the lower divisions and look what they went on to achieve.[/quote]

Totally agree, I''d rather we had a bit of a gamble on four or five kids from the lower leagues rather than spend £1million on two players of the likes of Hughes and Etuhu.

The only problem I guess is that you''re asking these untried kids to come in and perform straight away in a struggling team. There''s not a huge amount of time available for settling in with our current position.

Our biggest problem at the minute in my opinion is a distinct lack of confidence. It''s asking a lot of a player from the lower leagues to come in and turn things around when the whole team seems to lack belief.

I hear Wroxham have a striker for sale a bargain at a monkey, should be in our price range and a real bargain basement buy, should suit our board. dont matter about experience will grow into the job same time as our manager.