Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Any chance we could just enjoy the football?

We have heard all the arguments about Worthy staying or going time and time again.  Any chance now the season has started we can just go back to talking about football?

While I am not getting carried away, I must say I have really enjoyed attending the last two games- a much better atmosphere away and at home.  The two idiots who were sat behind last season moaning for the entire 90 minutes appear to have skulked off and I have seen some half-decent football.  That will do me for now - enjoying going to City games!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

The two idiots who were sat behind last season moaning for the entire 90 minutes appear to have skulked off

[/quote]

Sadly I think I''ve inherited at least one of them.

I hope so.

Last night was a hell of a lot of fun, particularly the keep-ball to run down the clock - my brother says he counted over 30 completed passes whilst we were crying "ole" with every one.  Great stuff.

And I came away from the game buzzing, for the first time really since the Manure game.  A decent atmosphere too, a little tense at times, and there was far too much grumbling when Preston attacked a few times shortly before we scored the second (they were going to attack at some point, for chrissakes).  And the only cries of "hoof" were ironic ones directed at Preston.

One of the few games I''m going to get to see this season due to my impending relocation Oop North, but if it''s the only game I''ll see, I''ll be a happy man!

I''ve just logged onto the board to post this very same topic. I''d like to plea for a ceasefire between the factions that have emerged among our ranks in recent times. I''m absolutely delighted at the performance and result last night but there is still a lot of season ahead of us. Please, please, please can we all avoid "I told you so" and "I think X,Y,Z should eat his words and apologise" right now? That would just be tempting Fate to serve us a dire performance on Saturday. It''s vital for the good of the club that the players continue to perform and the fans continue to encourage and support.

I know we all have our opinions on why the team were so poor last season, and you can''t deny the bare facts such as certain players'' disappointing performances, ineffective hoofball, and the team''s complete capitulation on the field at times. There has been all sorts of discussion as to why that was (manager''s attitude, coaching staff, weight of expectation, lack of confidence, poor pre-season, injuries, certain players'' personal lives) and almost all of it based on rumour and speculation. Some of the poor performers from last season have shown that, in the right circumstances, they can do the business after all. I don''t know what those ''circumstances'' are (see above), but I want to see it continue all season. There could be any number of reasons why the team have shown such massive improvement so far this season and, again, any attempt to explain it will be speculation, not fact. The last thing I want is for Worthy Outers and KTFers to still be at each others'' throats and causing instability despite the team playing well. Surely we can all be big enough to put our own personal feelings on the manager/board/other fans to one side and unite behind a very promising team? Sure, there will be poorer performances than last night along the way, but I''m hoping there will be even better displays to balance them out. As far as I''m concerned, last season (and pre-season and even last week) is water under the bridge and what is important is not who said what to whom, but rather the continued well-being of the team.

Please let''s not revert back to the vitriol of last season as soon as the team has an off-day or a team takes the lead against us. And, likewise, let''s not get carried away with two good performances and one decent result. When injuries bite, we might be back to square one or, on the other hand (and with the continued good will of the fans) other players who disappointed last season might show what they can really do in a more confident, better balanced team with the fans roaring OTBC behind them. Can we all just lay down our arms and give the club a proper chance to get it right?

Thanks for listening. Please don''t be nasty with me Confused [*-)]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

The two idiots who were sat behind last season moaning for the entire 90 minutes appear to have skulked off

[/quote]

Sadly I think I''ve inherited at least one of them.

[/quote]

Me too, only there seem to be several. [8-)]

BB