Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Well I for one still have the resolve to say I would like a new manager

We have had a interesting week at home which has resulted in 2 wins and 6 precious points. Well done lads. However I think we are in danger of getting carried away. There is a long way to go and we should not forget that at home we should win the majority of games given the support we have combined with the quality attackers we are blessed with.

Now I don''t want to in anyway undermine what was a fantastic come back from the players but I was not that impressed with our overall performance. If that mistake had not been made by their defender I honestly think Luton would have run out comfortable 2 nil winners. I felt we weren''t really hurting them up to then.

Before I get shot down by all you fans that can''t take constructive criticism, I can only say what I saw yesterday. our first goal was a complete gift our second was never meant by croft and anybody who tells me it was needs to take off their rose colourer blinkers. The third came because by then momentum had natural changed to the resurgent home side.

Now I was jumping up and down like a lunatic every time we notched, but I consider myself to be old enough and wise enough to admit to myself that we got bloody lucky and we didn''t deserve all three point. If your not of that opinion then that’s fine. Ask a neutral who watched the whole game I''m sure they would have to agree Luton looked better than us for lots of that match.

I still think that we will struggle away from home due to our mentality combined with our lack of bite. I feel that I would still like a new hand on the rudder to take our team forward. If we do gain promotion this season which I am still sceptical about my fear is we will maintain our negative approach to matches which cost us so dearly in our last premiership campaign. Worthington is a believer in that cautious approach.

So I say thanks Nige for your service but no job is for life and if there is somebody who can do it better which I’m sure there is then lets give them ago. If all this good play we have witnessed is down to the input of Martin Hunter the give him a go if that what people want. But his influence show me that other people can take our club on further than Worthington.

Players are shown no loyalty from our club, when they are of no further use or when somebody else can is brought in who is better they a disposed of why should that be any different with a manager. Harsh or realistic is what you have to decide.

I’m not saying that is what will happen for a moment, after all Worthington is cheep and a yes man which is what our board likes. I’m just saying that’s what I would like to see. The future of this club long term will not always feature Nigel Worthington as the past did not. What does that mean. Nothing more profound than he is not the be all and end all of this club.

Time will tell I’m sure and maybe I have no better reasoning than that the old adage that a change is as good as a rest. A different inputs seems to have helped, imagine if that input came from the very top maybe the change would be even greater.

Well I have to say Hardhouse that I disagree with you, but at least it''s good to see someone from the W/O camp right a well reasoned post which doesn''t just resort to cheap abuse and wholesale massacring of the facts.

Since Worthy in/out has already been debated on here ad nauseum I just wanted to take up your assessment of yesterday''s Luton game. I guess it''s all about opinions, but when we went 2-0 down I turned to bloke next to me and said "I still think we''ll go on and win this". He needless to say thought I was mad.

My reasoning for saying this was that in spite of the fact they were 2-0 up I honestly thought Luton were very lucky to be so. They had scored with 2 out of their 3 efforts on target and their first goal, which I admit was a brilliant strike, was nonetheless the sort of goal which you''ll normally only concede a couple of times a season in this division. On the other hand we had had a fair bit of pressure, especially in that 5 minute period in the first half when we could have scored 3 times. So I was always confident that we had goals in us, and I knew that if we got 1 back then all the pressure would be on them and all the momentum with us - which is how it turned out.

As for us being lucky to score from a mistake, well Hux was putting him under pressure which probably contributed to the mistake and even then Hux had to finish it off which I thought he did very coolly. As for Crofty trying to cross not shoot, well I guess he''s the only one who will ever really know, but the fact it that we had played him in on goal and only about 10 yards out through good passing and movement off the ball - and if someone is in on goal 10 yards out there''s always a fair chance you''ll score.

While I wouldn''t say it was a dominant display by us, I nonetheless think we were good value for the win and I don''t agree that Luton were better than us for long periods of the match. Anyway, all about opinions as I said, but at least I think the bloke next to me doesn''t think I''m mad anymore.

I agree with hardhouse to a point - the biggest difference between the two seems was Luton hit the back of the net with what was effectively their only chances - but we didnt trouble them until their defensive mistake.

Nigel summed it up, "Last season we would have lost that game"

The vital part of the game was always going to be when we scored. Had Luton kept their lead for say another ten minutes, our goal, should it come was always looking at being a consolation.

I think most people have recognised that there was a slice of luck involved, but no-one has recognised the difference that Carlos Edwards made. Sure his replacement scored, but he kept Hucks so quiet until he went off. If he was on the pitch I''m not sure we would have got a point

I noticed their no 7 he was the best player on the pitch. Sould have followed up our interest in him last season

One week of decent footy doesn''t wipe out the memory of two full seasons of bad football, right here and now I''d still like a change in management. I never felt Nigel Worthington was the best option at the time of his appointment, I''m even more sure now and the reasons are many.