Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

IS IT OUR LEAGUE STATUS OR OUR STYLE OF PLAY?

There have been numerous posts pointing out that in general terms Norwich are OK.

Posters point out that we compare to various other Clubs who have tried and failed with the Premier League and cite a few with wealthy backers who have succeeded through their cash input.

And there is no doubt that the Club has grown well over recent years and IMO has a good Board doing their best.

Going back in time, Norwich simply fell out of the Premier League, through Robert Chase''s poor direction, at absolutely the wrong time. In the ten years that followed the cash increased so much that established Clubs, like Southampton, have had to do spectacularly poorly to go down.

As a result Norwich and a score of other Clubs struggle to ever break through the glass ceiling on normal incomes.

I honestly believe that most Norwich supporters accept this is the case and are realistic in their expectations of league position.

Look at the Premiership top three: Arsenal has a new stadium (which clearly marks supporter class status all around the ground) but have risked everything on it and are mortgaged up to the hilt on future sales. Man Utd are consolidating a 5oo million loan on future income and Chelsea have a single backer, who, if he leaves probably leaves Chelsea in financial ruin.

The Premiership itself offers little incentive to a number of limbo clubs who''s only real hope of progression is via the Carling Cup.

Who knows what kind of top league we will have in a few years time? The Clubs want control and the FA are losing their grip. The poor World Cup campaign has denigrated the Premier League as a vehicle for home talent.

So, is it really a case of supporters being discontent about relegation and a mid-table finish. Are they unhappy in The Championship? Season ticket sales say no.

Generally speaking league position might be linked to attendences, but at Norwich it has worked in reverse and when we were in our hey-day crowds were 14,000 - 16,000.

Does it not, simply, come down to one thing: get the ball down and play attractive attacking football the Norwich way.

If the Club cannot buy the players it wants and if promotion is an outside chance then at least show supporters a bit of style, stop hoofing the ball and play like a Norwich team we might recognise.

There are two main reasons why I did not renew my season ticket...awful hoofball and a sour atmosphere.

What upsets you most, where we are or how we have been playing. I bet it''s the latter.

If we were all resigned to finishing midtable then I''m sure we would settle for pretty football with a win every 2 or 3 games!! Where Norwich City FC is concerned I have always been the optomist & have always had some hope we can either win the league (old first division & prem) or gain promotion. However, for the first time I have absolutely no hope of us finishing above midtable so would grab hold of the pretty football option in a shot. Unfortunately I can''t see this happening either!! So my hope is I will get some entertainment from Huckerby''s maizy runs & Earnie''s back flips... I can''t see entertainment coming from anywhere else!

I like to be entertained by the quality of the football (something England failed to provide in the World Cup) but I find the whole event of attending a live football match entertaining and I can forgive an awful lot if I walk away from Carrow Road with 3 more points in the pocket

Rudolph. I think you have been spot on with your post. I to did not renew as I felt let down that medocre football is good enough for the board. I felt the only way I could protest at what was served up last season was to not renew. I think many did because they were afraid they would not get in to Carrow rd this season. The board are in a lucky position, but it cannot last as IMO they wont pay for another season of dullness

For me it is the style of play.  I enjoyed watching 3rd Division South football far more than the style of football we are playing nowadays.