Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Our only hope?

For me without several quality signings being made to the team Nigel Worthington is doomed as manager of this club.

Our chances of promotion next season are also likely doomed without the added quality.

With these 2 factors in mind i see our only hope resting on the future sales of both Earnshaw and Green be it in the January transfer window or next summer. Lets face it they are both going to go if we don''t get promoted next season. The team is likely to need quite a bit of restructuring due to the loss of the parachute payments.

A new promising, shrewd young manager in the form of Steve Tilson or Mike Newell (can you think of any other likely managers now?) needs to be brought in to replace Worthington and he must be allowed to sell Green and Earnshaw for a figure of around £4/5 million, be given all of the funds from the sales to spend on rebuilding the team to his likeing.

Obviously he will have to operate on tighter pursestrings due to the loss of revenue from the parachute payments but good managers can work wonders on small budgets and if you gave a manager like Tilson or Newell £4 million etc they could probably spend it well and wisely.

This is the only way forward for me now. I know it is defeatist but i have all but written our chances of promotion off for next season. Nigel is doomed (why the hell did the board decide to keep him on for next season if they weren''t going to back him????????????).

Green and Earnshaw must NOT be sold by Worthington as they are our only hope of getting back to the Premiership.

Having seen the whole squad in action today at Cambridge, I have got to say that we need some new quality signings to do anything better than mid table next season.

There''s got to be some big names from big squads in the premiership who would need to be playing regularly, particularly in the early months of the season

Theo on three months loan...dream on, but wouldn''t it be great.