Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Worthy a nice man?

Ok ok this isn''t a pro- or anti-Worthington post in terms of him getting the boot so please can no-one bother replying with a Keep The Faith/I''m not a loyal supporter message. Recently I''ve noticed that seemingly all the WOs and KTFs, whichever their stance, have always maintained that Worthington is an honest, decent and nice bloke. However I must say that I don''t agree with this in the slightest. I think from the very start Worthington has been having the occasional pop at the fans from as early as criticising the noise levels way back when he first got the job. I was also at Carrow Rd to see the City Reserves vs Brentford Reserves when Palace beat Sunderland and we won promotion. I think one of the very first things Worthington said when he addressed the crowd was a sort-of "up yours" at anyone who''d ever doubted him. There are many other examples post games and in general as well but none of them spring to mind as this exact time.

He also used the press to get a new contract when the Sheffield Wednesday job came up a couple of years ago so I don''t think he''s particularly loyal to Norwich either. The board seem to love him to bits but if a better club or a better offer came in for him, do you think he''d reject it to stay with us (and I mean BEFORE the Worthy Out protests naturally). Finally he has a habit of completely freezing out players with whom he falls out. Obviously no player player is bigger than the club but then surely the same applies to the manager? The Briggs, Libbras, Rivers, Llwellyens (sp?!) and Jonsons of the world have all come a-cropper. I would assume everyone will say "well they were rubbish" but he did buy most of them in the first place and his handling of McVeigh and Huckerby in the press, and just two recent examples, indicates to me that he really isn''t that nice.

Just to reiterate, this message is NOT a debate about whether we should sack him or not but just an open question about the perception of whether Worthington really is a good bloke deep down. I''m not so sure and never have been. Thoughts?

I understand that the Blackpool supporter''s hold him in such high esteem, and were terribly upset when he departed their club......NOT!

Blackpool is probably a good indicator of the type of manager that we have inherited......He alienated himself with the west coast club''s fans, and left in a cloud of animosity and resentment....My mate''s a Blackpool fan, and he thinks that the equivalent tell-tale signs are beginning to manifest at Carrow Road. Still, it''s the NCFC boards decision to stick by him, they ultimately call the shots, and therefore they, and they only, are responsibile for the future of this club..........It''ll be the fans fault either way - if it all goes "Pete Tong!"...........Protests, it was all down to an unsettling minority, of those who couldn''t keep the faith! Yeah Right! ;~( 

you may well be right Forbes.. i have met Worthington and to be fair he was a gentleman to me..

but to be honest having seen him at supporters forums and heard him on t''wireless etc is his affable nature a front????

jas :)

I think that there is something of the bully boy in worthington behind that quiet exterior. I remember well the after that ''brilliant'' 1-1 draw with Blackburn when worthington the then caretaker manager said that he was then going to bang on the board room door and demand the job. Then later when the post at Sheffield Wednesday was up for grabs he said he would go it the board did not give him a better contract. The boards hands were forced. The result, the suposed rolling contract that now keeps him at the club. You just have to look at the number of players he fallen out with. More than the normal manager I think. 

Further to my last post a short time ago, I looked back and dug out a couple of quotes from Blackpool supporters at the time when worthington was given the City job full time -

Nice guy but awful manager. That''ll teach you for beating us earlier in the season.

Nigel Worthington dismantled a near promotion-winning side and turned them into a shambolic mess. In the last two years with us I think we won 20 games at most! I''m not suprised he got the job because he can charm the birds from the trees.

Does any of that sound at all familiar? Even more to the point I the read this quote from a City fan commenting on his appointment.........

Anybody who is over the moon with a goaless draw (against Forest) in which we managed the grand total of one shot on target in 90 minutes and feels that it is a terrific result, to gain a a draw when you are 1-0 up against 10 men at home surely must have such an absence of ambition the like of which can be seen only in Mr Cooper et al. Steer a course for average.   

Seems to me like not much as changed.

But I do fear that that same fate awaits worthington if he chooses to stay on as manager that he suffered at Blackpool. The same ill feeling is apparant. It is just like history repeating itself, say no more! 

As I and the vast majoirity of posters on here dont know him how can we comment?

He seems decent enough, hard working and honest with a bit of a stubborn streak but he could be Saint Peter or some vile deviant behind closed doors for all I know..

Ive also met him took the time to speak for awhile seemed decent geezer

must admit it was when we were one win away from promotion so obviously

was quite open .I spoke to a Sheff Wed fan a few weeks ago whilst 

on holiday over  a few San Miguels , said exactly the same nice

chap he said , him and his mates never thought he would end up managing

a club in the conference let alone in the prem .Just didnt seem to have

the leadership qualities required to do the job so hey he has been

found out he also said .Yes i said i think he has been found out

trouble is Delia likes him too much. OTBC