Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Worthington condoning hoof ball (well nearly)..

Just read NW''s latest piece and he gives a pretty good indication that he favours hoof ball tactics (in this league anyway).

You look at Southampton and the struggles they''ve had this year and, for me, they are a classic example of people coming out of the Premiership and thinking they can still play football the way they do in the top league.

They forget that you''re coming out of the Premiership and into a war in the Championship - a war that''s waged week in, week out.

And it''s the teams who acclimatise the quickest to that change who get themselves into the best position.
You look at Southampton and the struggles they''ve had this year and, for me, they are a classic example of people coming out of the Premiership and thinking they can still play football the way they do in the top league.

They forget that you''re coming out of the Premiership and into a war in the Championship - a war that''s waged week in, week out.

And it''s the teams who acclimatise the quickest to that change who get themselves into the best position.

I also read the pre season magazine that came out in the summer yesterday and Worthington quoted something like " you have to scrap in this league and at times it won''t be pretty".

He doesn''t beleive in playing passing football in this league.

I beleive he does in the Premiership but the trouble is your squad from the Championship will need a complete over haul if you get promoted. This is why Sunderland have struggled and Wham and Wigan have flourished i belive. Ipswich in their first season in the Prem did very well also largely due i believe to playing passing football in division one. Bascially their squads and the way they play doesn''t need complete restructuring.

We will struggle to establish ourselves in the Prem if we ever get there under Worthington. Is this another reason for change?

godo arguement there Duke!

u cant go playing one style then immediately play another on another division... All the quality sides in the championship have passed their way to the title/playoffs or whatever.. even we did under Worthy at first....

I cant see what he thinks he will gain by changing the whole setup "overnight" as it were.. even if we do play hoofball to godo effect in the championship... pre-season isnt enought to get 9 months.. 46 games worth of hoofing out of the players minds.. they get it in their mindset until it becomes automatic.. like any Job really.. once u know what ur doing u do it the same way always and its very difficult to change....

jas :)

I hate to say it but anybody whom thinks worthy condones passing football is an idiot.  He is hoofball all the way!  so what does he do, he creates a squad with no decent target man and plays hoofball!

Managerial Genius, according to waghorn the reason we got promoted was because worthy DIDNT have to make any managerial Decisions!!  Apparently if he had he would inevitably have got them wrong!!   I will happily second him in this case and TOTALLY agree!! well spotted Rick.

He did well to compare worthy to Warnock - another idiot hoofball manager....

http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=RickWaghorn&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=RickWaghorn&itemid=NOED29%20Mar%202006%2012%3A02%3A53%3A747

Tell you what, your Lordship. Reading, Preston and Ipswich (amongst others) passed us off the park this season.  The man''s an utter fool....

I don''t know why anyone should be surprised by anything he says.  Why read his ramblings, the real talking is done on the pitch isn''t it?

Shame there''s nothing to say there either.  Goodbye Mr Worthington.   Today would be nice.