Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Premier League to abolish points deductions?

Just as likely it is being done to protect, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, who backed and pushed forward FFP with the likes of Barcelona, Real and PSG, to stop themselves being overtaken by future clubs such as Manchester City and Newcastle. 
That’s not to say that I don’t think you should spend what you have and that’s it, but it was those clubs trying to stop others. Don’t forget the rules are regularly broken, and have effected us on at least one occasion with Villa.

What is the point of the rules?

My understanding was that originally ffp was brought in to protect clubs from overspending and going into administration. If that’s still the case, then I don’t see that letting them spend as much as they want but making them pay more on top by way of a tax helps very much.

If the rules are about “levelling the playing field” then it doesn’t help with that either if it lets clubs spend whatever they want anyway.

If it’s about keeping the big boys as the big boys, and even about keeping the top 17 much better than anyone in the championship, then it would probably help do that.

• Like 1