Just now, lake district canary said:

True, it would have taken a big Sporting Director to resist the temptation and pressure to sack him, but unfortunately ours gave in to that pressure. 

I would have had so much more respect for Webber if he had stood up to that and said, "You know what, we're keeping him because we don't believe we can get anything better"  because to base the future on the whim that we might get Lampard, which appeared to be the only idea there - and then "lucky" (I use the word advisedly) that Smith was suddenly available, sseemed quite ridiculous. 

I don’t think he gave in to pressure Lakey. While there were some vocal calls for Farke to go and a general feeling given Social Media (and here) his time had probably come, it was nowhere near levels in the past or where Smith got to.

Webber made a conscious decision to roll the dice, he had few options given the position he had put himself in. Farke wasn’t helping himself with some of his comments and the on field performances.

Like I said, let’s not rewrite history. No one really expected us to beat Brentford given the evidence.

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Let’s not re-write history. The Brentford game came out of the blue, before that he’d looked completely lost and unable to get a tune out of those players.

And even in that game there wasn't much there to say we'd turned a corner. We just managed to get a lead and hang on to it. It wasn't a great performance by any means

The Chelsea game was one of the worst Norwich performances I’d ever seen personally, gutless and tactically inept.

We’d also lost two of our few likely winnable games at home to Watford and Leeds.

These (Watford and Leeds) were the ones that did it for me - I can take a stuffing at one of the oligarch clubs. We just looked chaotic in those games, especially the Leeds one. They were the reason that I thought the decision to sack him was reasonable at the time.

No sacking him was never likely to make the difference needed, and yes he’d also been left with a garbage squad after that summer. However let’s not pretend before that Brentford game he looked at all like turning it around.

Good post, Monty. Couple of comments of mine above.

I think you can make a very good case to say that we should have kept Daniel, on the basis that he was our greatest asset (our difficulty replacing him has certainly supported that view.) But to do so would have been to accept inevitable relegation in November. I would have had a lot of respect for Webber if he'd come out and said something along the lines of 'if Daniel can't keep this squad up, no one can' and that another relegation was a price worth paying to keep developing the squad under Daniel's guidance. But I can't see that such a statement would have satisfied our fans.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Let’s not re-write history. The Brentford game came out of the blue, before that he’d looked completely lost and unable to get a tune out of those players.

The Chelsea game was one of the worst Norwich performances I’d ever seen personally, gutless and tactically inept.

We’d also lost two of our few likely winnable games at home to Watford and Leeds.

No sacking him was never likely to make the difference needed, and yes he’d also been left with a garbage squad after that summer. However let’s not pretend before that Brentford game he looked at all like turning it around.

Who COULD have turned that squad around. His successors have not done any better than had he have stayed.

Edited by Bradwell canary