cambridgeshire canary

**Official Haribo cup match thread V Bournmouth**

24 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Rashica literally lost possession 17 times and only completed 12 successful passes. Yes, he made several passes across the penalty area, none of which found a yellow shirt when there were several relatively simply opportunities to create goals by rolling the ball into the open space.

On the other hand, Cantwell was excellent in open play. He 'fell over' because he was repeatedly fouled. His corners weren't great, neither was his penalty.Ā 

This is how I saw it as well, Cantwell is as flamboyant being fouled as he is on the ball but was able to link up play and recycle to ball well. Rachica on the other hand just looks like he isnā€™t on the same wavelength as any of his team. A nice tackle here and there and some surging runs just isnā€™t enough. Looked completely knackered after 75mins. Doesnā€™t make the starting 11 when everyone fit for me which is nowhere near the expectations I had for him.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by people being somewhat down on Springett's performance. I thought he was excellent! Showed some threat going forward and didn't look put of place defensively either. Fairly robust in tackles and strong enough to compete physically for a small guy.

I thought Sara looked decent too. He and Nunez coupe be an incredible pairing behind Cantwell at No. 10.

Rashica was disappointing for large portions of the game but he did come alive for a period in the second half, primarily when Aarons and Pukki came on. We looked dangerous down the right hand side with those three combining.

I thought Ramsey was bad too. He did almost nothing but give the ball away and fall over. Is he a wide player though? I thought he was more of a CM but I don't know a great deal about him tbf.

Gunn was magnificent. Excellent positioning allowed him to make a number of the saves he made last night.Ā 

I left after 91 minutes so missed the equaliser and the penalties šŸ˜ž Thought we had it in the bag.

If we are to play 4-3-3, I think last night showed we can play Pukki as one of the wide front players, with either Idah / Sargent in the middle. However Rashica will not be on the other wing, it'sĀ a toss up between Sinani, Springett and Argos (Springett - or is that Jerry? - did all right going forward, if a little lost in defence). Sinani probably wins it with his set piece capability (see below).

The middle three is more and more looking like Hayden, Sara and Nunez when Hayden is fit although Gibbs has that position until Hayden is really fighting fit. Hard on Cantwell as well perhaps, but he really struggles with set pieces, so making Sinani a more likely starting figure up top.

For the back, it perhaps is a little clearer after last night. Only Aarons is an absolute shoe in, it looks like Byram will now cover for left back until either the injured three return or we cover with a loan. I was of the view that Gibson would be paired alongside Omo, but now have to concede he is well out of form at the moment and Hanley has to start.

Like others I felt although Gunn probably saved us from a large defeat last night, as others have said, most of the saves were pretty much straight at him, his reactions beingĀ one of his strengths.Ā  The penalties and both goals showed he isn't that hot on shots into the corners! So Krul has it for me.

In my view the subs bench can then have players who can be called on to turn matches in Cantwell / Argos / Idah or Sargent with Gibbs / Gibson / Gunn / McLean as relatively strong and reliable cover, with youngsters like Tomkinson / Rowe / Springett to complete the bench and provide a bit of zip and competition. Let's pray that our injury crisis eases from now on;Ā if so IĀ think we can affordĀ for Rashica and Hugill to be offloaded and a couple of late replacements found in this last week of the transfer window to further improve in the LB and AM role.

A shame we lost, but all in allĀ a very educational evening to mark where the squad is at, and generally left me feeling more positive that if Smith sees it as I do, we have a great squad this season capable of gaining promotion. But as always will Smith see it the same way as I do.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5