Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Max Arrons and compact defending

There was a lot of complaining around me in the first half to see that Max was staying pretty much tucked inside until the ball came across, allowing Raheeem Sterling and Zinchenko to have so much space down Man City's left. After about 5 minutes I was expecting Dean Smith to be shouting and hollering to get Sergent to get himself back behind the ball and into the left defensive area. But it never happened.

My conclusion is that it was all part of the plan. Defend compactly. Don't get pulled out into exposed positions. We can't cover every yard of the pitch. Allow space out on the touchline. No one will score from there. But once the play comes 10 yards in from the line, or to the edge of the box, defend like your life depends on it.

The bonus is that when we get the ball back, Josh is in a good attacking position and we are set to break forward effectively. It means we a rarely get really penned in.

I don't mind it at all. Playing against Manchester City is not an average benchmark. Few sides have got players like Sterling or Zaha. Drop  down a small amount, and the tactic works. It worked against Raphinha, who is a wonderful player but only found any joy when he left his base off the touchline.

After Liverpool, I think we will be really set to show our best form yet. Bring it on.

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 2

On 13/02/2022 at 12:19, Pugin said:

There was a lot of complaining around me in the first half to see that Max was staying pretty much tucked inside until the ball came across, allowing Raheeem Sterling and Zinchenko to have so much space down Man City's left. After about 5 minutes I was expecting Dean Smith to be shouting and hollering to get Sergent to get himself back behind the ball and into the left defensive area. But it never happened.

My conclusion is that it was all part of the plan. Defend compactly. Don't get pulled out into exposed positions. We can't cover every yard of the pitch. Allow space out on the touchline. No one will score from there. But once the play comes 10 yards in from the line, or to the edge of the box, defend like your life depends on it.

The bonus is that when we get the ball back, Josh is in a good attacking position and we are set to break forward effectively. It means we a rarely get really penned in.

I don't mind it at all. Playing against Manchester City is not an average benchmark. Few sides have got players like Sterling or Zaha. Drop  down a small amount, and the tactic works. It worked against Raphinha, who is a wonderful player but only found any joy when he left his base off the touchline.

After Liverpool, I think we will be really set to show our best form yet. Bring it on.

It seemed to rely heavily on Sargent too, but he didn’t seem right at all. I’ve noticed Placheta seemed to be a lot deeper more often than Rashica was in the last few games

If we want to be particularly critical, you could point to Sargent in all 3 on their goals bar the penalty. He didnt look fit enough for the demands being placed on him and I was surprised Smith didnt pull him at half time.

He either didnt notice, or felt the sacrifice of 3 goals was worth Sargent getting some minutes - but this is an approach he didnt afford Cantwell

Sargent was other side of the pitch when they scored or had a chance.. Can't remember the moment now but it really confused me that Max wasn't going mad at him.