Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Man City

The early results today were a bit of a mixed bunch but they could have been a lot worse so my thoughts on the ride down to CR were more along the lines of a "please don't get hammered" rather than hoping for a miracle. Smith made a couple of changes with Idah and Placheta being replaced by Sargent and Gilmour.

It didn't take long for the visitors to assume control and they found plenty of space out wide as the home rearguard packed the centre of the field. Hanley and Gibson were quickly in the thick of things as cute balls from midfield turned either fullback. Gunn had to parry a close range effort and then was lucky when the ball dropped into his arms after Silva hit the inside of the post. Things were looking ominous but City brought the crowd to life when Rashica appeared to get away from Stones but couldn't find a shot to worry Ederson, and in any event play was pulled back for an infringement.

It was mostly backs to the wall stuff early doors and Gunn was seeing plenty of action with another good stop from a close range header but then Williams brought the crowd to life with a strong run into the visitors half and a pass that gave Pukki a chance from the angle which Ederson saved at his near post. The home side were having to do a lot of chasing in midfield, attempting to close down space but the ball was being passed about with such pace and accuracy that the front men were living on scraps.

There was finally some home goalmouth action on about twenty minutes when City had a spell of decent possession and won a couple of corners. Sargent couldn't get enough on his header but City retained possession through PLM who sent in a cross that Grant Hanley met perfectly. It looked to be heading in but the crowd jumped up in front of me so I didn't see it hit the post. It certainly got the crowd going and for a while I think we were all dreaming of another 2019. It wasn't to be however as on the half hour a cross went through everybody and Sterling "power curled"(thankyou Palma😉) it into the far top corner.

It was disappointing but not surprising and to their credit City almost hit back with a strong period of play down their right with Pukki and Sargent setting up a chance for Kenny McLean who could only drag a low shot from 18 yards well wide.

One down at the break didn't feel too bad and for most of us wishful thinkers there was still a chance of getting something out of the game. Unfortunately that smidgeon of hope was snatched away when the visitors extended their lead a couple of minutes after play resumed. Gundogan always seemed to be able to find space and when he got behind the defence, panic ensued and in a scramble 3 yards out Foden forced the ball over the line after a couple of brave blocks had delayed the outcome. Hanley almost scooped the ball off the line but the refs watch had already signalled a goal.

From there on it was pretty much all up with the visitors bossing possession and chances as the home side desperately chased shadows. There can be no denying that they are a great side and they gave us a bit of a chsing at times although everyone stuck to their guns and you couldn't fault the effort. Rashica had a shot saved by Ederson in a rare raid down the left but the crowd was quiet and in truth there was little to raise the spirits. Byrom came on for Aarons but he couldn't stop Sterling making it three on seventy minutes with a close range header and then Norman came on for PLM and late on Dowell replace Sargent.

I was then just hoping we could see it out without anymore damage. Unfortunately Andre Marriner who I thought had been pretty poor throughout, couldn't resist sticking his oar in and awarding a weak penalty right on ninety minutes. Gunn did well to parry  to his left but the rebound fell nicely for Sterling to tuck it away.

Lots of effort from all in yellow and green but the class gap was there for all to see. Kenny ran his guts out, Rashica and Pukki inspired odd moments of hope but inspite of the score Grant Hanley was my MOM today. Without him it could have been even worse.

On a lighter note, at least we don't have to worry about staying up on goal difference.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Thanks Ricardo. 

I know that Manchester city were better than us, but am I alone in feeling that 4 - 0 was a bit harsh?

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo. 

I know that Manchester city were better than us, but am I alone in feeling that 4 - 0 was a bit harsh?

The penalty was unnecessary punishment.

2-0 or 3-0 would have been fair enough. Four was harsh. Penalty call was one of those where if it hadn't been given, I don't think VAR would have overturned it either - essentially a referee's call sort of a decision.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

2-0 or 3-0 would have been fair enough. Four was harsh. Penalty call was one of those where if it hadn't been given, I don't think VAR would have overturned it either - essentially a referee's call sort of a decision.

Yes, when you consider the one Citeh got at home to Wolves, you realise just how almost impossible it is to have a penalty decision overturned if it’s given by the on-field referee.  It has left some horribly soft decisions this season.

• Like 1