Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

Some more forgotten players

The thread on Gerd Müller and his recent death instantly made me think of less renowned players in that famous Bayern Munich and West Germany side who still more than played their part. Indeed I mentioned Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck in it and decided to have a little search around.

Did better than that. Found these eleven articles about players of quite considerable talent and renown whose names have somewhat been missed. Enjoy.

Forgotten Eleven | The Rondo

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The thread on Gerd Müller and his recent death instantly made me think of less renowned players in that famous Bayern Munich and West Germany side who still more than played their part. Indeed I mentioned Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck in it and decided to have a little search around.

Did better than that. Found these eleven articles about players of quite considerable talent and renown whose names have somewhat been missed. Enjoy.

Forgotten Eleven | The Rondo

I must be nerdier than I hoped, because I was pretty much au fait with all of those, apart from Blankenburg. Bit hazy on him. There was a Masopust playing for the Czech Republic in the Euros but he doesn't seem to be related to Josef. Kubala was a great player.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I must be nerdier than I hoped, because I was pretty much au fait with all of those, apart from Blankenburg. Bithazy on him. There was a Masopust playing for the Czech Republic in the Euros but he doesn't seem to be related to Josef. Kubala was a great player.

Blankenburg was completely new to me, the two that surprised me in here were Tardelli and Gento. Some of the others were classic "in great teams but not star turns" sorts. Masopust, Zamora and Sindelar were three I knew of, but not too much about, which struck me as the focus of such a team.

I'd argue there's more room for Massimo Bonini in that team, but you could argue he was San Marino's star player and got certain notoriety for that when combined with his own record for Juventus.