9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was directly in line (stood in the Barclay) with Justin Fashanu's Goal of the Season v Liverpool in 1980.

I believe I am the only person who can claim that.

I was at that game as an 11/12 year old. Went with my dad and one of his mates. Cash on the day type thing, but being Liverpool it was a big crowd. We usually stood in the lower River end, but that sold out whilst in the queue, so a quick dash to the Barclay end.  Dad was a couple of places behind us in the queue, by the time me and his mate got to the front. As we go through, the turnstile operator  declared 'that was it, we are full' shutting the gate before my dad could get in. I turn around and my impassioned cry of 'Daaaaad' must have struck a cord with him, as he reopened, and said dad could come in. However that wasn't before about a dozen others, all claiming to be my dad, got in, and all gave me an appreciative ruffle of my hair on the way past.  

What a goal that was too - I too was right behind it, and they let all the youngsters stand at the front of the terrace to get a better view. Happy days.  

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I was at that game as an 11/12 year old. Went with my dad and one of his mates. Cash on the day type thing, but being Liverpool it was a big crowd. We usually stood in the lower River end, but that sold out whilst in the queue, so a quick dash to the Barclay end.  Dad was a couple of places behind us in the queue, by the time me and his mate got to the front. As we go through, the turnstile operator  declared 'that was it, we are full' shutting the gate before my dad could get in. I turn around and my impassioned cry of 'Daaaaad' must have struck a cord with him, as he reopened, and said dad could come in. However that wasn't before about a dozen others, all claiming to be my dad, got in, and all gave me an appreciative ruffle of my hair on the way past.  

What a goal that was too - I too was right behind it, and they let all the youngsters stand at the front of the terrace to get a better view. Happy days.  

Greavsy, this is proof that time does play tricks with the memory. You must have been slightly to the side. There is no other explanation

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure this was before the same game, but was certainly around the same time. 

I went to the Post House Forte (now the holiday Inn) on Ipswich Road where the Liverpool team were staying to get some autographs, as I lived very near there at the time. 

The hotel entrance then was on the corner of an L shape, and the players had to walk past to get from the rooms to the breakfast room. We got there as excited youngsters (Liverpool were a huge team then!) and the hotel staff said we could wait in the corner, and they would have to walk past us, but we couldn't approach them until they walked into the reception area. We duly complied.

Players duly walked towards us, and Ray Clemence (current England keeper) refused my cheeky request for a 2nd signature (I wanted one for my sister), and Kenny Dalglish (who was idolised on all playing fields at this time) didnt like the youngsters who surrounded him and I quote 'Get away, with your fecking books up my nose, you C*&ts' in his scottish accent, and refused to sign any signatures. Throughly nice bloke! 

Bob Paisley was  an absolute gentleman, and I don't recall any issue with the other players.  

I have no idea where the signatures I got are now, unfortunately. 

Talking of autographs, my Mum worked with Dave Bennett's girlfriend , and they got Martin Peters to sign a book for me. 

I also have no idea where that book is now 😞