Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Poor standard

54 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've loved watching us this season but I'm slightly dreading next year. 

Learn to love the yoyo.

Think of the season after next 😁👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2021 at 11:27, mr footy said:

The standard of the championship is very poor in relation to the prem, although this has helped us to get promoted this season the gap is not good for football in general .Next season we will have to be at our best even to have a chance of winning. It has been too easy and this has done us no favours in the long term.

I don't think it is just the championship. If you look at the results in the premier league I think it's fair to say that there is some gap between perhaps 8 teams who have genuine consistent top 6 ambitions and the rest.

It is seemingly getting harder and harder for teams to retain premier league status after promotion unless they can now spend hundreds of millions or be incredibly shrewd or some sort of balance of both. Burnley and Crystal Palace have managed that to some degree with a focus more on shrewdness, Wolves perhaps are the example of being more balanced, Fulham, Lees and Villa arguably more the case of throwing money at it.

Though I would say it isn't the quality getting poorer, but the ability of some teams being able to bring in better players has increased. You don't have to go back very far in time to find teams who could still do very well for themselves playing the traditional Pulis/Allardice/Howard Wilkinson style of football. But it's progressed, at the higher end of the game technical prowess and pace have become much more valuable than height and strength. As is usual, the lower leagues move in that direction at a slower pace as the coaching styles are adopted.

I think the championship this year is probably of a slightly lower standard than the previous few years. 18/19 was a particularly strong year in my view, with us, Sheff U and Villa going up as well as WBA and Leeds in the mix too. No doubt that the packed schedule and shortened pre season has had an effect on the quality this season, while also meaning that teams are maybe a bit more willing to take their foot off the gas when they have the lead (something I think we do more than last time out in this division). However the quality in the prem is improving all the time, and as a result the gap between it and the championship is growing. 

• Like 1