Sign in to follow this  
NCYorkie

Match coverage next season?

I've always thought that the NFL model (as I understand it, it may have changed) was a good model to follow. A  localised ban on broadcast to encourage people to attend but allowed outside of a certain distance.

Appreciate that is much harder with internet streaming, and I've no idea how the NFL have got around this, if at all. 

It's not as if the blanket ban on broadcast is encouraging City fans in Scotland to go to Carra Rud.

Edited by kirku

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

I've always thought that the NFL model (as I understand it, it may have changed) was a good model to follow. A  localised ban on broadcast to encourage people to attend but allowed outside of a certain distance.

Appreciate that is much harder with internet streaming, and I've no idea how the NFL have got around this, if at all. 

It's not as if the blanket ban on broadcast is encouraging City fans in Scotland to go to Carra Rud.

The 3pm ban isn’t to encourage Norwich fans in Scotland to go to Carrow Road, but to encourage them to support their local lower level team. 

For example in South London lots of Palace fans will attend Dulwich Hamlet games when Palace are away. But if they could all stay home and stream the Palace game there is a risk they wouldn’t go to the Dulwich game and that would dramatically impact their finances. 

Whether this is what would really happen is up for debate, but that was the intention of the law - which was established long before internet streaming was a thing of course. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The 3pm ban isn’t to encourage Norwich fans in Scotland to go to Carrow Road, but to encourage them to support their local lower level team. 

For example in South London lots of Palace fans will attend Dulwich Hamlet games when Palace are away. But if they could all stay home and stream the Palace game there is a risk they wouldn’t go to the Dulwich game and that would dramatically impact their finances. 

Whether this is what would really happen is up for debate, but that was the intention of the law - which was established long before internet streaming was a thing of course. 

Good point, well made. It'd be interesting to see how much this actually happens.

It's not something you really consider when living in Norfolk, although I suppose Lynn might get a few more through the door.

Edit: having said that, the NFL model would still encourage Palace fans to go to DH games because they'd be part of the localised broadcast ban (depending on whether it's team related as opposed to home/away)

Edited by kirku

16 minutes ago, kirku said:

It should be remembered that this nonsense is performed hundreds of miles apart, whereas in the UK you will have  clubs only a few miles apart

And once live coverage was 'out' it would quickly become available via streaming

That should be the concern for those deluding themselves that the enormous sums paid by TV will continue

38 minutes ago, Bill said:

It should be remembered that this nonsense is performed hundreds of miles apart, whereas in the UK you will have  clubs only a few miles apart

And once live coverage was 'out' it would quickly become available via streaming

That should be the concern for those deluding themselves that the enormous sums paid by TV will continue

It's already available via streaming as the games are often (in the Champ) or always (in the Prem) shown abroad.

I don't think the current situation is all that dissimilar to the early years of other digital content (TV, film, music, games) where the only streaming choice was illegal and now where many people have a subscription to Netflix, Spotify etc.

There's a substantial sum to be made by many clubs and, as others have rightly said, any form of broadcast doesn't come close to the experience of a proper match day (but with the CV19 situation, when are we going to return to packed stadiums?), so I'm not sure how much sales cannibalisation would actually occur.

Edited by kirku