Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Nigel Clough

I ought to state first I'm a big fan of him (and his father), yet what a generous thing for him to do today, stepping down to help Burton financially. I realise he may well be set up and not have financial worries but it just seems an honourable thing to do.

• Like 1

Surely more honorable would be to stay on a voluntary basis until all this is sorted financially. Surprised tbh - he’s been there 20 years near enough.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Surely more honorable would be to stay on a voluntary basis until all this is sorted financially. Surprised tbh - he’s been there 20 years near enough.

That's my thoughts. 

I agree it's a nice gesture and it's one I wouldn't want to take anything away from. However, if he's going to step down anyway, why not stay on voluntarily until the ship settles? Of course it's working for free which cannot be expected, but it surprised me that he left after such a long tenure. 

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

His assistant and scout (brother) also left.

Think this is someone who is very close to his club. I'm thinking these days it is a rare loyalty and to be linked to one club for so long. The idea is that some wages saved can be felt across the whole club as they've replaced from within (chairman). They are under significant financial pressure as are many more.

I'm sure he will be working again soon enough. McCarthy has been tentatively linked but more wishful thinking I reckon.

Edited by sonyc