Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Quantity or Quality needed?

Now i''m getting way ahead of myself but still got me thinking.

If we go up, what would you like to see us do in the summer window?

We appear to now have a stronger squad than last time we went up so I wonder what the best thing to do is.

Say we spend about £20m and are realistic with wages. That is 3 or 4 decent players or 7 or 8 alright players really.

I think we''d have the variety up front now to be better there but maybe one marquee signing would be nice who has both goals and guile in their game. Someone like Jonjo Shelvey (yes not him as he''d probably not join) would be good as it''d be hard to accommodate someone who could only play striker while we have Grabban, Jerome, RvW (maybe) and Hooper all vying for the 1 or 2 spots there.

Perhaps one of the biggest areas we have already addressed would be a long term successor to Wes. He has recently proven how valuable he is to us but we know his limitations and he''s not getting any younger.

Another area i''d like us to look is out wide. We''ve stumbled accross Johnson on the left at the moment but we only have 1 pacy wide player capable of 4-4-2 at the moment with Redmond. Perhaps here we could look on loan. Maybe if Jordan Ibe needs some premiership exp and Liverpool spend another £20m on a benchwarmer in summer he might fancy a few games for us. He would bring a nice symmetry to our wide options and provide Redmond a bit of competition (i.e. if we play one winger, we might put pace down the left and Dorrans down the right as more of a wide midfielder than a winger).

As for the defence, we''re well stocked in goal and at left back but after that, we''ve been scrambling to find our best fit. It''d be nice if we could spend some proper money on a decent stopper in the Bassong mold or maybe a more pacy right back.

Lastly, Tettey needs some help in the middle, so basically another Tettey would be nice so he can manage his dodgy knees a bit better.

It''s the age old dilemma whether to give the guys you go up with a go or whether you should buy in better quality. I think in the main, we have the numbers and a few quality players but probably need a bit more balance to our options, so 3 or 4 quality names + Dorrans in would be my shout, 1 winger, 1 Tettey, 1 number 10 and one physical CB and/or RB.

We''ve probably got enough midfielders of his type but I''d like to see Lansbury back here. Still only 24 and having a great season at Forest.

If we did go up, he''d be at the right time in his career to push on and become a Prem league player.

I think right back has to be one of the main priorities, whether we get promoted or not.

Steven Whittaker has done well over the last few games and is more than capable at this level, however with Martin now being utilised more in the centre of the defence, we need another body to come in and push Whitts for that RB berth.

If we were to get promoted, then I think it''s all the more crucial. Whittaker is decent, but I wouldn''t be as comfortable having him as regular first choice in the Prem. He''s great going forwards but this means he''s vulnerable if we get hit on the break, particularly against pacey players of which we know there are plenty in the top flight.

So for me, I''d like to see the following (if we get promoted):

RB - First team quality with a bit of pace

CB - A strong, pacey stopper to slot in alongside Bassong

Left Winger/Midfielder - We have options for the right, less so for the left side

DM - A good holding midfielder to slot in alongside Tettey if/when needed and to provide competition

ST - Another powerful/strong striker/target man type to give Jerome some competition. I don''t think Lafferty will cut the mustard and I''d rather we move him on and bring a fresh face in. Maybe poach Callum Wilson if Bournemouth don''t go up! Maybe not quite the target man type, but certainly has goals in him.

I think the rest of the squad has enough quality to see us cope. Move on some of the fringe players in particular the midfield where we are probably overstocked. As much as it saddens me to say, perhaps that would be the right time to move Hoolahan on as well as O''Neil and possibly Elliott Bennett if the manager doesn''t see much need for him.

[quote user="Clint"]We''ve probably got enough midfielders of his type but I''d like to see Lansbury back here. Still only 24 and having a great season at Forest.

If we did go up, he''d be at the right time in his career to push on and become a Prem league player.[/quote]

I was thinking about him yesterday while he was doing us a favour.

Yeah, thinking back, we probably should have took Lansbury when we had the chance, he''ll cost a few quid more now though.

Still, i''m probably not the only one with a first Class Honours degree in Hindsight.

Oswald Cobblepot wrote: As much as it saddens me to say, perhaps that would be the right time to move Hoolahan on as well as O''Neil and possibly Elliott Bennett if the manager doesn''t see much need for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you lost your senses ?

We may get away with not playing Hoolahan in this division but if we get back up to the Prem next season - we absolutely have to play him. We just don''t have someone that controls the ball and the play as well as he does.

People need to realize that players such as Dorrans or Howson do not have the same game. We will struggle without him as it proved last season. It doesn''t matter if he''s 32 or he doesn''t score goals. He''s the last player we want to lose - you can''t buy anyone similar - not with our budget anyway.

We also need to try to get Kyle Naughton and approach it in a predatory manner.

Striker - we need to get a striker that is Hooper, Grabbon & Jerome all wrapped in one - know of such a player ?

The Naughton ship has sailed. We do need a player of his ilk though. Perhaps we can have another look at Byram ;-)

Wes would need replacing but gradually. I''d like to see Wes maintained for one more season whichever league we''re in.

He is a unique player to us and one we will struggle to replace. Not many players have such great vision like Wes. I think Redmond is as close a player as we have but it would be a lot of work to train him to play effectively in the centre in the hole like Wes does.

I like the look of Pritchard at Brentford or Ritchie at Bournemouth although I wonder if the latter is a bit flash in the pan this season. George Boyd is another that operates quite similar to Wes, i''m surprised he never joined us in his PBoro days.

Without looking abroad, the best bet for a striker i''ve seen would be Wilson from the Cherries. He is still young but seems to have great technique to go with his pace and power and could be a very good premiership player one day. I wanted us to sign him when he was at Coventry when we were still in the premiership and nothing has changed in that regard.