Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Shooting down the manager before hes even taken a game

It seems to me that the critics on this messageboard wanted a nice,safe appointment, with no risks attached, which frankly would lead (IMHO) to safe, mid table mediocrity. Well, no thanks,  lets go for the old risk reward option - yes, of course this is risky, but thats fine by me. Lets give it a go, see how this all develops, OK maybe have a bumpy ride, but it could actually be fun! Sadly that is not what we see and hear from the serial moaners and do you know what - I don''t care any more what they think. Come on you yellows!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][Secondly, one of the frequent claims about the Smith and Jones era is that it was - to use a bit of the poetic licence you like - a time of total incompetence UNTIL McNally and Bowkett came on the scene. I think you have achieved a first by turning that idea on its head and saying the new regime suffers by comparison with the old.[/quote]Never said any such thing Purple. Please point me to where I did.Of course, one can pick whatever time frame to suit one''s argument. But the ''unarguable fact '' is that of the last five appointments made by this current (recent) board ...ie Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil, only Hughton had any level of experience at the higher level at which he was supposed to be operating.Purple, you can argue/debate til the cows come home about the merits or otherwise of perceived ''experienced'' candidates but please do not insult our intelligence by trying to perpetuate the myth that this CURRENT board have been even handed on this matter. They have undeniably been not so.[/quote]Reggie, short-memory syndrome. The last time we debated you came out with an absurd exaggeration of what I was saying. I complained and you said all you were doing was exercising a bit of poetic licence and I shouldn''t take accuracy seriously:"Oh for heaven''s sake, Purple...stop being so damned po-faced. It''s an internet forum, not the Crown Court ! Of course you did not use those exact words. Forgive me for using a bit of poetic licence to lighten the mood." So I was, as clearly stated, using a bit of poetic licence back. Back with a crucial difference. I didn''t say YOU had said that about the old regime. I said, which is true, that it was a common complaint.

As was said in a thread a short while before Adams resigned ... Is there a candidate most fans would be pleased with? The answer is no.

We have no idea who actually wants the job. Phelan may be content as a no.2, Warnock has returned to retirement, Sherwood may not want to return to Norfolk, Hoddle may only be tempted back into management with a prem team (Newcastle) etc etc.

The club have clearly been watching Neil very closely for a while now and see him offering something more than Adams. Personally, the appointment of a young manager with a promotion already under his belt thanks to a reputation for smart and dynamic tactics is more exciting than lassoing an out of work manager on the merry go round of cast offs and left overs.

It will be a fresh era with Neil. Let''s stop taking ourselves so seriously and back the ambitious Scot to the hilt. If it fails at least we didn''t blindly stick with Adams out of sentimentality and no one can cry that a different boss wasn''t hired because no one knows of their interest in the job and availability let alone whether they would have worked out better.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Reggie, short-memory syndrome. The last time we debated you came out with an absurd exaggeration of what I was saying. I complained and you said all you were doing was exercising a bit of poetic licence and I shouldn''t take accuracy seriously:"Oh for heaven''s sake, Purple...stop being so damned po-faced. It''s an internet forum, not the Crown Court ! Of course you did not use those exact words. Forgive me for using a bit of poetic licence to lighten the mood." So I was, as clearly stated, using a bit of poetic licence back. Back with a crucial difference. I didn''t say YOU had said that about the old regime. I said, which is true, that it was a common complaint. [/quote]OK then Purple, so we have now established that a bit of poetic licence is, in fact, OK, and we are not always too bothered about absolute statistical accuracy, as you claimed at the weekend.Fine, I''m happy to proceed on that basis.So I''m happy also to overlook the fact that the phrase ''common complaint '' was never actually used.......All this pales into insignificance, I''m sure you''ll agree, when measured against the debate as to whether Neil will turn out to be a good appointment ?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="estrada rumtotal"]From the beginning Delia and Michael had no long term plan or direction from a footballing perspective.You can see this from the odd assortment of previous managers, constantly chopping and changing style from one to the next with little or no continuity. You can also see it from the recent changes in the club''s structure eg the footballing board and statements mentioning the famed ''Norwich Way'' of playing, all atempts to try and plan ahead and play to a particular style.Adams failed to deliver passing football, so it''s all change again in getting in a Lambert-style battler to play a direct power game ie the antithesis of passing possession football. So when it comes to managerial appointments this particular one deserves scepticism due to the ever changing whims of a board that cannot stick to its own long term plans for more than a few months.If Wee Jimmy falls on his sword in the next 18 months or so, which is likely given his lack of experience, then I can see the club reverting to another Hughton type. Then we''ll be back at square one, except in a lower division, with a decimated squad and little money to spend.[/quote]FFS give it a rest.you''ll have us all topping ourselves in a minute.[/quote]
He''s an Ipswich Fan, he should be fairly happy at the moment. Unless this is all reverse-psychology in fear NCFC are about to take the Scum''s second place finish.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Reggie, short-memory syndrome. The last time we debated you came out with an absurd exaggeration of what I was saying. I complained and you said all you were doing was exercising a bit of poetic licence and I shouldn''t take accuracy seriously:"Oh for heaven''s sake, Purple...stop being so damned po-faced. It''s an internet forum, not the Crown Court ! Of course you did not use those exact words. Forgive me for using a bit of poetic licence to lighten the mood." So I was, as clearly stated, using a bit of poetic licence back. Back with a crucial difference. I didn''t say YOU had said that about the old regime. I said, which is true, that it was a common complaint. [/quote]OK then Purple, so we have now established that a bit of poetic licence is, in fact, OK, and we are not always too bothered about absolute statistical accuracy, as you claimed at the weekend.Fine, I''m happy to proceed on that basis.So I''m happy also to overlook the fact that the phrase ''common complaint '' was never actually used.......All this pales into insignificance, I''m sure you''ll agree, when measured against the debate as to whether Neil will turn out to be a good appointment ?[/quote]Reggie, I am sure this is going to be my loss but we obviously have different interpretations of accuracy and what are fair and unfair representations of what I post. To be clear I am always and entirely bothered about facts and statistical acuracy, and nothing I have posted in this thread (or others) could possibly have given you reason to think otherwise.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="estrada rumtotal"]From the beginning Delia and Michael had no long term plan or direction from a footballing perspective.You can see this from the odd assortment of previous managers, constantly chopping and changing style from one to the next with little or no continuity. You can also see it from the recent changes in the club''s structure eg the footballing board and statements mentioning the famed ''Norwich Way'' of playing, all atempts to try and plan ahead and play to a particular style.Adams failed to deliver passing football, so it''s all change again in getting in a Lambert-style battler to play a direct power game ie the antithesis of passing possession football. So when it comes to managerial appointments this particular one deserves scepticism due to the ever changing whims of a board that cannot stick to its own long term plans for more than a few months.If Wee Jimmy falls on his sword in the next 18 months or so, which is likely given his lack of experience, then I can see the club reverting to another Hughton type. Then we''ll be back at square one, except in a lower division, with a decimated squad and little money to spend.[/quote]FFS give it a rest.you''ll have us all topping ourselves in a minute.[/quote]
He''s an Ipswich Fan, he should be fairly happy at the moment. Unless this is all reverse-psychology in fear NCFC are about to take the Scum''s second place finish.
[/quote]You don''t seem capable of offering much more than good old fashioned optimism or accusing others who are unhappy with Delia''s handiwork of being secret Ipswich supporters. That''s perfectly fine, I expect you''re under 25 and have known nothing other than Delia''s reign.But we''ll both be here in 18 months to witness whether the team is better or worse. And I expect the inevitable optimistic predictions of success from yourself will again be somewhat wide of the mark.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]To be clear I am always and entirely bothered about facts and statistical acuracy, and nothing I have posted in this thread (or others) could possibly have given you reason to think otherwise.[/quote]So your earlier reference to your use of ''poetic licence'' was merely a slip of the keyboard then.....?I understand. .....I think......