Sign in to follow this  
pete

Problem positions

At the moment there seem to be plenty we seemingly cannot deal with the squad Adams has built. According to the pundits on Canary Call yesterday to break down packed defences the full backs have an important part to play. Our full backs especially on the right do not seem able to play this role. I would like to see Eliott Bennet to play RB he would have the pace the others seem to lack going forward. And when previously played there coped adequately defensively and has more than adequate distribution skills.

I don''t think EB since his injury has the pace to displace Redmond which would not be bad thing. An experiment that might just work and is certainly worth trying. But is Adams man enough to try however I doubt it.

At the moment there seem to be plenty of positions we seemingly cannot fill with the squad Adams has built.

Apologies re English

You actually make a valid point and one I was thinking about after the Leeds game. The full backs, especially Whittaker due to Leeds doubling up on Redmond, had a lot of space in the final third and ended up being in positions to deliver crosses/take shots. The problem was the final ball was very poor (and has been for weeks).

Also the full backs have to do very little in the way of defensive work because teams come here and are happy to concede possession. This means the full backs are almost playing as wide midfielders or wing backs.

Olsson can deliver a decent final ball but Whittaker is poor in this regard and wastes a lot of good opportunities.

So why not give someone like Bennett a go at right back at home? He will be better in the final third and will have little defensive work to do. It may also free Redmond up a bit and give the opposition something different to think about.

Bennett certainly appears to have the attributes to be a right back, and pretty much anyone must be worth a shot with Whittaker''s form.

I don''t know if Bennett has played midfield his whole career but it could be risky putting a winger in defence. For all of Whittaker''s problems with his feet, he still has the brain of a defender