Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Do we have a club philisophy? If not do we need one?

Looking at the candidates for the managerial post at Swansea (Bergkamp/ Graeme Jones etc) Huw Jenkins looks to be continuing his record of appointing managers who adhere to a very particular footballing philosophy- passing football. Similarly Southampton have instituted a club-wide playing style, so that their youth teams, as well as the first team, adopt that high-tempo pressing game that Pochettino has brought to Southampton.

So my first question is do we have a philosophy of our own? In the past we have been known for playing good football, but more recently it seems to me our teams have purely reflected the style of whatever manager is in charge at the time. Obviously this worked out very well under Lambert, but then the players were introduced to a very different style of play under Hughton.

Managers need to be able to control team affairs independently of the board, but I believe that we as supporters would appreciate it if managerial appointments showed some consistency in terms of style of play. That said there is a balance to be struck between finding the best manager and finding one who fits a certain mould.

So do we need our own footballing philosophy as a club? If we do should we emulate the much-maligned (on here anyway) Swanselona or does another playing style embody us as a club?

I think at the moment our philosophy is this.... ''At the start of the Game at 0-0 we have one point, lets try and keep it that way.''

Citys latest sojourn in to the Prem should have produced something more inspiring along the lines of ..... ''you may beat us but it aint gonna be easy, and when we have the ball we''re gonna keep it and use it, to try and beat you, and we''re going to take every opportunity that we can to show you how good we really are''

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I''ve harped on about this for ages.

There was no continuity whatsoever in appt clueless. He was the opposite to what we had.

Got to admire Swansea for keeping consistent.[/quote]At the time I wanted Hughton in- he had seemed to play good football with Birmingham, utilising exciting young players but with a bit of the defensive nous we often seemed to lack under Lambert. Long term however it would seem Hughton is just too different- he has either marginalised or sold our key attacking players under Lambert and doesn''t seem able to get the best out of the attackers he has signed.In an ideal world we keep Hughton till the end of season, let him go and get in a director of football to work closely with a more attack minded manager/head coach and to ensure smooth transition from manager to manager.