Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Turner & Bennett

Surely this is our best center back pairing, and with MT back from his ban I would like to see these 2 start against palace. We really don''t need any more "he''s just finding his form" mistakes from the bumbling Bassong in this important game.

All three of the "regular" centre backs have their limitations - Bassong a failure in concentration, Turner a lack of mobility, and Bennett can be impetuous.

Much will depend on the attackers they are trying to repel - we gave Suarez too much space, but perhaps all of our centre backs would struggle to keep up with him.

What I am suggesting is that until and if Bennett fulfils his promise, none of them can really be said to command a place irrespective of the opposition.

Given that Bassong and Turner are probably approaching the twilight of their careers,we shall have to find at least one other central defender soon.

Agreed - a better CB is probably more important than a better DM - at least Tettey will recover from injury   ---  eventually!!!

Though Tettey will probably get injured again! I''m definitely thinking we''ll go for a CB though because Bassong has his share of injuries and problems with form and we went after Toby in summer. Vlaar would be a beast but they won''t sell and Heitinga is apparently off to Hammers. I imagine Hughton has his targets lined up. Winger, CB perhaps and not sure of any others really at this point as we don''t traditionally change too much in Jan ?