Sign in to follow this  
willo

Quality of our attacking play

Have watched all games this season and, in my opinion, we have improved our defensive structure from last season, even more so now we have a typical box to box style midfielder in Tettey. Would like to see him paired with Fox/Howson though. Turner apart, defence looks more solid too, well organised, more disciplined.

The two players who have disappointed me most is Bennett and Pilkington. Dont misunderstand me, their effort and commitment, Bennett in particular, has been first class in helping maintain shape in the past two games, but the quality on the ball has been very poor. Their crossing, link play and overall ball retention not at the level of last season. Bennett got at his man twice yesterday, look what happened....

Pilks seems to flatter, and is getting more game time under Hughton, as Lambert pulled him after 60 mins in most games, yet goes missing for large parts of the game.

If this shape is to work, and in Hoolahan we have a player making it work well from the centre, better quality needs to come from these areas, better crossing, link up play and understanding of their role. If not, maybe these are areas needing addressing in the transfer window with the players the like of Zaha being looked at, or maybe other suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Agree there has been a lot of progress in the last couple of games. There is now a solid formation and pattern emerging- largely down to Tettey who has made a big difference to the team. Formation and shape of the team is sometimes more important even though Pilkington ( in particular) didn''t perform all that well although I thought he played well against Arsenal.

All in all, the last couple of games have given me renewed hope but we need to get back to a point a game asap.

If we play Howson,he needs to be an attacking midfielder rather than a defensive holding player.

Still prefer Bennet to Snodgrass who remains unconvincing. Pace is essential in the Premiership and that something he obviously lacks. However, agree that quality of crossing is really poor.

It was endemic across the team yesterday, from Holt to the full back. I do think our passing was fear based - no one wanted to take a chance so preferred the extra touch or passing it back or sideways again...

Martin - repeatedly crossed behind the goal

Garrido - poor for him, even the chance for wes was an overhit ball

Tettey - strides forward to shoot but little incisive passing, not memorably wasteful

Johnson - poor - even short sideways passing was laboured

Bennett - great energy and pace but repeatedly over hit crosses, just one good low cross that I can recall all game. Gets in great positions but so wasteful its ruining an otherwise strong all round game

Pilkington - enigmatic; vanished for length periods but other than wes did provide several of our best break throughs, pass for ebs not given penalty, crossing TO players in the second half; just not enough of it; he has the quality but needs to impose his capability on the game as wes has done

Wes - at the core of everything good, direct and runs at players (elliot and pilks take note) tries to split the defence with his passes and not just play its safe. he demanded the ball making himself available, watch and learn pilkington pass completion strong despite criticism today, suggestion he lost possession trying to open up the defence rather than playing safe - hurrah for that

Holt - a large step back from an excellent arsenal display, off the pace and little movement, link up play poor and his best pass (hoolahans 1v1) was clearly a shot gone badly wrong; summed his day up

In spite of this we STILL created enough chances to comfortably win the game if we could finish