Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Silly Season

As this is the silly season, can I suggest that as the team is getting ready for the new football season, we, the fans, get ourselves ready mentally for the new season as well?  As the players are gearing themselves up to hit top gear next Saturday - so should we!! 

Be positive - every game is there to win - whichever team it is - we don''t have to be in awe of anyone.  So don''t be negative about our team''s chances  -  whether it is a top club or one near the bottom that we are playing.    Don''t expect to lose a match before it has even started - you wouldn''t expect the players to do that so why should us fans??? 

So much unnecessary fear and angst last season amongst the fans - we don''t seem to learn very quickly!   Apprehension was rife at some games - completely out of proportion - and I know some will disagree, but it affects players on the pitch if they sense the crowd is anxious. The bottom line is we are a successful club and with hard work and positivity that can continue. 

As a fan base there are always those that are going to be a bit negative, but for goodness sakes, we have every reason to be positive.  So as you are preparing for the season, its worth thinking about how we''re going to approach it as fans.  The only expectation we should have is that  the players give their all - if the players do that - and we get behind them without being  afraid - we will have another successful season. 

I know...................there he goes again, over optimistic - but just think about it!!   Do we go to the football to watch the team succeed or do we go to see them fail?   You can''t have an in between view - which is yours?? 

I''m all for being positive, but your point about expecting to win every match, it''s unrealistic. We shouldn''t expect to beat the best teams, that''s the way it is, of course we can beat them it''s not guaranteed or anything,, but expecting to lose away to Man.C is not being negative, it''s being realistic. You can expect one thing, while hoping for another.

Also while I appreciate what your trying to do, the more and more I read posts on here, the more obvious it becomes that some people are just so optimistic, and some are pessimistic, and you can post positivity all you want, your not going to change that persons personality.

Its simple really.

I can be doubtful, even negative about our chances in any given match. Sometimes I have a good feeling about a match.

But as soon as I set foot inside the ground there is only one thing on my mind. To see NCFC win. I will get behind the team 100%. I see it as my job, my duty as a Norwich fan.

[quote user="Henry"]Its simple really. I can be doubtful, even negative about our chances in any given match. Sometimes I have a good feeling about a match. But as soon as I set foot inside the ground there is only one thing on my mind. To see NCFC win. I will get behind the team 100%. I see it as my job, my duty as a Norwich fan.[/quote]

That makes you a supporter more than a fan Henry[Y]

The supporters are the lifeblood of the club. They know loyalty is a one way street but never waiver from doing their duty whatever situation the club is in.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

As this is the silly season, can I suggest that as the team is getting ready for the new football season, we, the fans, get ourselves ready mentally for the new season as well?  As the players are gearing themselves up to hit top gear next Saturday - so should we!! 

Be positive - every game is there to win - whichever team it is - we don''t have to be in awe of anyone.  So don''t be negative about our team''s chances  -  whether it is a top club or one near the bottom that we are playing.    Don''t expect to lose a match before it has even started - you wouldn''t expect the players to do that so why should us fans??? 

So much unnecessary fear and angst last season amongst the fans - we don''t seem to learn very quickly!   Apprehension was rife at some games - completely out of proportion - and I know some will disagree, but it affects players on the pitch if they sense the crowd is anxious. The bottom line is we are a successful club and with hard work and positivity that can continue. 

As a fan base there are always those that are going to be a bit negative, but for goodness sakes, we have every reason to be positive.  So as you are preparing for the season, its worth thinking about how we''re going to approach it as fans.  The only expectation we should have is that  the players give their all - if the players do that - and we get behind them without being  afraid - we will have another successful season. 

I know...................there he goes again, over optimistic - but just think about it!!   Do we go to the football to watch the team succeed or do we go to see them fail?   You can''t have an in between view - which is yours?? 

[/quote]

I''m with you on this, Far to much negativity from the odd few, I never go to a match not expecting a result

"but your point about expecting to win every match, it''s unrealistic"

I don''t think LDC said anything about expecting to win every match, I doubt anyone expects that. What he did say was that "every game is there to win" - and it is as the numerous upsets and wins we have achieved suggests so (away to Spurs)

Unfortunately LDC in his kindly benevolence seems unable to grasp that amongst the usual whingers and whiners lurk a fair number of our pitchfork waving, rustic neighbours, albeit some posting under many names. Not being the brightest, it appears they believe, that if they post up as much negativity as possible on here it will somehow undermine the club, the players and the management team.

So, I suggest, young master Lake District you accept their being here as you might accept dog turds left on the street and recognise how it is the same names that pop up in every thread that seek to put us down. The price of success I fear.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''m all for being positive, but your point about expecting to win every match, it''s unrealistic. We shouldn''t expect to beat the best teams, that''s the way it is, of course we can beat them it''s not guaranteed or anything,, but expecting to lose away to Man.C is not being negative, it''s being realistic. You can expect one thing, while hoping for another. Also while I appreciate what your trying to do, the more and more I read posts on here, the more obvious it becomes that some people are just so optimistic, and some are pessimistic, and you can post positivity all you want, your not going to change that persons personality.[/quote]

Expectation of winning or expectation of  losing is wrong imo, GP.   It''s expectation that is the problem.    It''s my view that the best way of going into a match is to be open minded about the result.    Of course we want to win, but can never "expect"to win.    It''s expectations that do us down.  We shouldn''t "expect" to lose a match either.  

The only thing we should expect is that the players give 100%.  Then whatever will be will be.  If we all went along to matches "expecting" to win - and then we don''t, we get a feeling that it''s the end of the season (hence all the crazy defeatist chatter on here when we didn''t beat Blackburn at CR last season).     You simply have to put expectations to one side, treat every match as a winning possibility - as City 1st says - "its there to be won" - but never expect a result this way or that.  Is it beyond fans to do that?   I know there are plenty that do, but we see alot of negative stuff on here - but if we know anything about our football club, negative is not a word you could readily apply to anything there - so why should us fans be negative??    

My view is that we shouldn''t  get put off by the negativity that appears on this board -  there are those who are just worriers by nature, others who have an ulterior motive and those who just don''t care.   At the end of the day most of the fans want the club to be successful, and the best way of doing that is to be positive in your support and get behind all the players.  The team play to win every match.  Thats the aim.  All I say is support them in that same frame of mind - that we are going out to win - and not get bogged down with who the opposition is.