Sign in to follow this  
Canary Chris

For crying out loud... some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves

[quote user="Canary Chris"]So I get home from Fulham, and the overreaction on here is absolutely mindblowingly staggering. I cannot believe some of what I am reading. Did any of you fickle people go to the game?

Yes, it was a TERRIBLE performance. One of the worst I can remember in recent times. Yes, Hughton got his tactics wrong with the negativity in the first half. Yes, it''s a heartbreaking start to the season.

But, people want him sacked?? Calling him ''clueless?'' Show a little respect people, it''s ONE game. If it is the same after ten games I would understand some venting, but my word give me a break. Hughton clearly felt he hadn''t set out our stalls right as he bought on a second striker at half time. People saying our players didn''t even try? What a load of rubbish. The reality is in the EXTREMELY hot conditions Fulham outplayed us. I bet you it doesn''t happen again next Saturday.

I''m proud of the large majority of our fans who sang the team on till the very end, you know who you are if you did, true fans.

Just remember where we were three years ago, take a breath, and look forward to next Saturday, because we will be out to prove a point. And for crying out loud, get behind the team.

City till I die.
[/quote]

Bet you backed Gunn and other failures too.

Well I don''t.

Those comparing it with the Colchester game are correct imo.    I''m not wanting to be dramatic, but to me it was worse than the Colchester game in all respects.    The 7-1 felt to me like a bit of a freak.  Yes we were terrible, but the whole circumstance of that game was freakish. A new season in a new league. A fantastic pre-season with a new squad that had never played together competetively, and fantastic anticipation for that first game.  It was then like a pack of cards falling down.  And we won the next game 4-0.   

Yesterday followed from a lack lustre pre-season.  We only had one or two players dfferent from last season.  What was going on?    I was at the  1-7 so can talk with that with some authority, but not yesterday.    But the evidence was there.  Even the post match comments were inept.   I just don''t understand how he could have got it so wrong??     I really believed that Hughton was the ideal choice to take on the task, but to have this at day1 ?  He is experienced and successful as a manager so we must give him a chance - but maybe he has just realised the size of what hehas taken on.   He needs to sit down and reassess everything - from his tactics, selection and his after match comments and the way he talks about the players.   QPR suddenly looks a slightly different game.   Another performance like that and he will be gone.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Those comparing it with the Colchester game are correct imo.    I''m not wanting to be dramatic, but to me it was worse than the Colchester game in all respects.    The 7-1 felt to me like a bit of a freak.  Yes we were terrible, but the whole circumstance of that game was freakish. A new season in a new league. A fantastic pre-season with a new squad that had never played together competetively, and fantastic anticipation for that first game.  It was then like a pack of cards falling down.  And we won the next game 4-0.   

Yesterday followed from a lack lustre pre-season.  We only had one or two players dfferent from last season.  What was going on?    I was at the  1-7 so can talk with that with some authority, but not yesterday.    But the evidence was there.  Even the post match comments were inept.   I just don''t understand how he could have got it so wrong??     I really believed that Hughton was the ideal choice to take on the task, but to have this at day1 ?  He is experienced and successful as a manager so we must give him a chance - but maybe he has just realised the size of what hehas taken on.   He needs to sit down and reassess everything - from his tactics, selection and his after match comments and the way he talks about the players.   QPR suddenly looks a slightly different game.   Another performance like that and he will be gone.

[/quote]

In that case LDC come on QPR, Hughton is seriously flawed.

Its important to be patient and not to completely overreact. But the thing that struck me is that during pre season he has assessed the team and the squad. Yet seems to have learnt very little about what the collective and individual strengths of the players/team are. Its evident that we have a team of players who are more comfortable going forward than defending. So surely you should be playing to their strengths and attempting to be positive. Rather than attempting to just stay in the game for as long as possible and nick something. You speak to any supporter and even Grant Holt himself in interviews last year and he admitted that he wasnt comfortable playing as a lone striker. Yet we proceed to play a system which relies on him to do this and retain the ball. Despite all the evidence from last season (which he watched on video in its entirety) that Morison would be the better option to do this.

Calling for the manager''s head after 1 game is absolutely farcical and stupid. But the manager has had nearly 3 months to assess the squad and form a plan for the season with regard to signings and tactics. Players will have tried to buy into this plan during pre season. But when you arent getting results and fundamentally very simple errors are being made that is bound to have the players asking some serious questions not just the supporters. The way some of the players were very deep in conversation with each other as they left the pitch at full time would imply that this is indeed the case.

He tried to change it at half time because we were 2-0 down for Gods sake!  Jeez.

There is a very disturbing point about all this.  We tried it pre-season and it didn''t work.  We then decided to use the formation and positioning in our first match of the season.  Lambert never played for a draw away from home.  We got some surprise results and finished 12th.  We need to employ the same expansive football we did last season because what we are attempting is not pretty, doesn''t work and will get us relegated.  What would you rather do?  Play great football and maybe stay up or defensive football and get relegated. 

I don''t blame the players at all - I think they did what they could as they were told to play.

I''m not calling for Houghtons head - just wanting him to go for it a bit more!  Attack is the best form of defence.  I also think the two centre halves did OK. As a former centre half you can only do so well with no help from midfield under large attacking numbers.  The full backs didn''t have great games and Tierney was out of position twice for two goals, but we need to look at the big picture here.