Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Hughton's Signings

I know it''s very, very early days but I just wanted to praise Hughton for seemingly carrying on the Lambert philosophy of signing the right kind of player; Butterfield is young but has already captained a Championship side (making him Barnsley''s youngest ever captain) so he clearly has mental strength and hopefully the right attitude. Whittaker looks to be versatile and is also used to playing in Old Firm games and in European cup finals (or singular).

Most of what NCFC has achieved over the last three years has been from getting good players with fantastic work ethic and a real winning mentality. Looks like it''s hopefully continuing...

I suppose the proof of the pudding ........................blah, blah, blah

For me though, and it is early days, I can''t see Whittaker and Butterfield as more than squad players.  And are they better than what we have?

[quote user="CamelFish"]

For me though, and it is early days, I can''t see Whittaker and Butterfield as more than squad players.  And are they better than what we have?

[/quote]

Its not just this post, but alot of people seem to mean different things when they talk about "squad" players.   To me if they are in the squad they are good enough for the first team, otherwise what''s the point in being in the squad??   PL proved lasty year that by using "the squad" he was able to mix and match with success, different players coming in and doing well.  

It is a strong squad from last year and is now a stronger squad with recent additions.   This can only be good and any of the squad will be able to come in and do a job.     People just don''t give any credit to some players because they perhaps don''t feature that much in the team.    Those players are the life blood of the whole set up though,  as they are in there challenging those in the team to be at their best or one of them will get a chance.  Like it or not Jackson did a good job when he was on the pitch last season - and could find his scoring feet to match his pace.   Likewise Surman came in and did well.    If they are in the squad they are good enough.     Calling  players "squad players" is stating the obvious imo because the are all squad players.

Spot on LDC, why would you sign players you don''t think are going to cut it on the pitch, starting a game,...? a lot of people here still think we can sign whoever we want...

We have a squad of 25 and make no mistake the two signings made make that squad stronger.

If they are regulars in the team or not will surely be in their own hands as they will get opportunities to show what they can do. Everything will depend on their performances.

[quote user="CamelFish"]

[/quote]

Well Scotland see Whittaker as better than R.Martin, and he''s fist choice here.

But the mental characters of certain players can often help off the pitch and in the dressing room as well, regardless of how often they play.

I couldn''t list loads of people but I know that Paul Crichton and Aaron Wilbraham are often cited as players who might not have got much game time but really helped out with the banter and morale in the wings.

I don''t think this can be underestimated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18707136?

Something related to this topic.

I relly start to like this guy. He used word "competition" instead of "quality" or "strengthening". That can mean a world for players that are at the moment unsure of their playing time.

Thought this kind a means we wont see big names this summer. (not that our top signings would have been that big anyway)

Still fingers crossed we go for either Naughton or someone similar (Clyne for example), Snodgrass or similar (Hoilett for example) and then another LB for cover. (Thought Whittaker can cover both sides)

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CamelFish"]

[/quote]

Its not just this post, but alot of people seem to mean different things when they talk about "squad" players.   To me if they are in the squad they are good enough for the first team, otherwise what''s the point in being in the squad??   PL proved lasty year that by using "the squad" he was able to mix and match with success, different players coming in and doing well.  

It is a strong squad from last year and is now a stronger squad with recent additions.   This can only be good and any of the squad will be able to come in and do a job.     People just don''t give any credit to some players because they perhaps don''t feature that much in the team.    Those players are the life blood of the whole set up though,  as they are in there challenging those in the team to be at their best or one of them will get a chance.  Like it or not Jackson did a good job when he was on the pitch last season - and could find his scoring feet to match his pace.   Likewise Surman came in and did well.    If they are in the squad they are good enough.     Calling  players "squad players" is stating the obvious imo because the are all squad players.

[/quote]

While I appriciate to sentiment you are describing I think that the term squad player is generally used differently to your understanding.

J. Ruddy is a first XI player

A.Surman is a first team player

S.Lappin is a squad player

While all as you say are important to the club and not always in obvious ways, there is a difference between these three players which is easily demonstrated by imagining which you would be most unhappy about should they sustain a season ending injury. Of course a player may change status throughout the season but when people talk about a signing being a ''squad player'' this is the type of thing they mean. Im quite sure you already know this and simply would like people not to use the term for fear of it being a derogatory term.

Time will obviously tell but I think both whittaker and butterfield will both be considered ''first XI'' players for the majority of the coming season.