Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

Media Bashing - The new(ish) Pink'un Message Board hobby

[quote user="lake district canary"]"

My definition of  "lack of quality"  is not just down to spelling/punctuation etc and I don''t think I have ever pulled anyone up about it on here.   It is down to the overall picture.   If a professional reporter puts out a report that is factually innacurate  and has spelling, grammar or punctuation issues as well then it lacks quality, pure and simple, from the writing of the offending article to the quality control to the printing.  As professioanals this is unnacceptable.      

, complaining about lack of quality in something is legitimate - especially when people are getting paid for their writing/speaking. 

[/quote]

Now there is an area where I''m full square behind you, LDC. Like you, if I''m reading a piece by a professional writer (of any genre) I expect it to be factually correct, and grammatically accurate. Even then there are degrees...... I expect spelling and punctuation to be exemplary, but I''m not a pedant on things like split infinitives.

But you answer your own point . Very few of the posters on forums like this are professional wordsmiths, so different standards can surely apply ? And the level of "quality" that it''s fair to expect is bound to vary . I guess what I''m saying is that , when we register with things like the Pink Un forum, we are (or should be) tacitly accepting that there will be not only widely differing views, but also widely differening levels of skill  by which those views will be articulated.