Sign in to follow this  
dhickl

Premier League minutes per goal

[quote user="dhickl"]

The media go mad over Sturridge (115.4 mins) saying how he should definitely be in the England squad, so why doesn''t the same apply to Holt (115.7 mins) - who has less service than Sturridge?

[/quote]

Maybe the media realise that there is more to being a striker than minutes per goal? Plus Sturridge is played out wide quite often.

Holty is doing a fine job for us but he is not going to get in the England squad. I think he is well aware of that and is concentrating his efforts on doing as well as he can for NCFC.

I disagree. Holt has proved he can score goals at any level of football.  His style makes defenders uncomfortable.  There is no reason why he  couldn''t do the same for England.   Whatever his faults you can''t deny he scores goals and is a great team player.  It probably isn''t going to happen at his stage of career but thats not a reflection of him. He is a class act.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="dhickl"]

The media go mad over Sturridge (115.4 mins) saying how he should definitely be in the England squad, so why doesn''t the same apply to Holt (115.7 mins) - who has less service than Sturridge?

[/quote]

Maybe the media realise that there is more to being a striker than minutes per goal? [/quote]

Are you implying that Holt doesn''t offer anything else? 

I think that Holt offers something quite different to the other strikers (Defoe, Rooney & Sturridge) - although since the original post he has overtaken Defoe to be 3rd.

Another couple of stats are that he is also 2nd in the PL for % of chances converted (top English player) and 3rd English player in goals scored in the PL.

There is always the argument as to why a player should be included in the squad - form, prospects, experience, etc, but I think that on form there is an arguement for Holt.

I think Shack isn''t too keen on Grant Holt, maybe he''s adverse to all the praise he gets? I don''t know, but Holt has done nothing in the two and a half years here to deserve any negative attention.

He''s a great striker, he''s proving it at premiership level. He''s in the top 10 scorers, and hasn''t even played in every game, and in 4/5 only came on for 20/30 minuets. What he''s done this season is magnificent. Maybe too late for him to get an look in at England, yes Kevin Davis got a late call up, but I think not Capello is looking at the younger players and I hope the FA appoint a manager with the same policy after the Euros next summer.

Last year I think only Adel Taraabt was more productive than Holt in terms of goals + assists. Wasn''t Grant 3rd in the assist charts?

He brings so much to the team and despite all the cliches, is doing well not because of his size or determination, but because fundamentally he''s a very good footballer. The difference between him and Morison is pretty clear both 1-on-1 and with the ball at their feet. That''s not taking away anything from 1R as he''s been excellent, but Holt is better with his back to goal, better vision, better first touch and a better finisher. I don''t think there''s anything ludicrous about suggesting him for England. He''d bring more to the team than someone like Defoe for example. Heskey has over 50 caps, and Holt is 90% as good at the stuff Heskey is best at but can also do all the stuff Heskey can''t. Some of his best performances have been against very good centre backs too, mainly because they''ve never had to deal with somebody like him before.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think Shack isn''t too keen on Grant Holt, maybe he''s adverse to all the praise he gets? I don''t know, but Holt has done nothing in the two and a half years here to deserve any negative attention. He''s a great striker, he''s proving it at premiership level. [/quote]

How can you not be keen on Grant Holt? I love the guy and hope he continues to score goals for us for years to come. But what I won''t do is make excuses for him when he is not performing. If anything his performances in recent games have vindicated what I was saying earlier in the season. He looks leaner, he looks sharper and he is giving opposition defenders a torrid time rather than chucking himself to the floor at the first opportunity. Compare his goal on Saturday to his ludicrous attempt to win a penalty against Arsenal from a similar position.