Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Faster pace required

I actually thought city played well yesterday and did not get any good fortune. Holty was off target with a clear header and their keeper was on good form to deny some good shots; on another day we would have got a result there. My only real complaint is the slow to medium pace of our passing at times. Too many times yesterday we gave away possession due to the ball being played too slowly; against a good team this lost possession will inevitably cost us. There were times yesterday the ball was almost rolled from player to player over 10 to 20 yards with the receiver stood waiting for the ball, especially in the middle of the pitch, where the opposition can nip in and take possession and counter from a dangerous position. The players have good movement, take up good triangular positions and have good formation and intelligence to open up the opposition midfield and defence, only to waste this by losing the ball because of a sloppy, slow paced pass. Its almost Arsenal in its style (but at a slower pace of course). Wes, Pacheco and Lansbury are snappy passes of the ball, hence they are the ones that really make the chances. If the rest of the midfield and attack can master it I believe we would have an excellent team and stand out in this division (and get automatic promotion) rather than being just a very good team with about eight others.

I think Swansea have exactly the right players to expose the frailties of our diamond, we looked quite overrun in midfield at times. I wonder if we altered the shape slightly to counteract the wide men and then left ourselves a little short in the middle?

Have to say yesterday the passing wasn''t great and Fox was too predictable. Too often the opposition read the passses better than our players.

I agree fully with your comments. There was a moment yesterday that had me screaming at the Tv where Crfots played an okay pass to Martin who just stood there waiting for the ball to reach him when a Swansea player cut in front of him and got the ballup the pitch. This was especially annoying as Martin would have then been in a great position to whip a ball in. I''m sure Lambert has picked up on this and will scold the players for it.