Sign in to follow this  
Smeg

Lambert, and why it took 12 hours to release a "im staying" statement

this is just my opinon, not a rumour, not a claim or anything.

so at 9am on friday lambert dodged the question about him leaving at the press conference, putting the spook up every norwich fan.

Mcnally was there early, then everything went quiet until 9pm when the offical site released a statement saying he''s staying.

all along lambert wanted to stay, but saw an opportunity to force the boards hand and make them match his ambition.

we know lambert was then at carrow road till late afternoon yesterday, proberley with the board, ive got a feeling that lamberts half of then discussion went something like this......  " burnley have offered me £ X,000,000 to spend if i join them, what amibtion can you show, i want to sign the last 2 players on my list, if you back me we will have a real go at promotion, the ball is in your court, back me or maybe lose me!"

this is mind, and the fact Lambert is staying, to me suggests we should see some activity in the transfer market pretty soon!!

[quote user="Smeg"]

this is just my opinon, not a rumour, not a claim or anything.

so at 9am on friday lambert dodged the question about him leaving at the press conference, putting the spook up every norwich fan.

Mcnally was there early, then everything went quiet until 9pm when the offical site released a statement saying he''s staying.

all along lambert wanted to stay, but saw an opportunity to force the boards hand and make them match his ambition.

we know lambert was then at carrow road till late afternoon yesterday, proberley with the board, ive got a feeling that lamberts half of then discussion went something like this......  " burnley have offered me £ X,000,000 to spend if i join them, what amibtion can you show, i want to sign the last 2 players on my list, if you back me we will have a real go at promotion, the ball is in your court, back me or maybe lose me!"

this is mind, and the fact Lambert is staying, to me suggests we should see some activity in the transfer market pretty soon!!

[/quote]

I think a lot of people suspect Lambo used the fact that he is now in demand as a manager as a bit of leverage to extract more funds from the board. More power to his elbow if this is so!

Can''t have offered too much City still £20m in red.  Doubt it took too much to make PL leaving for Burnley.

I think it all depends on how much Lambert wanted to stay at Norwich and how willing he was to go to Burnley. I suspect he is actually very keen to stay here for a while yet. If that is a case then demanding more funds under the threat of leaving would be a very dangerous thing to try - as we may just have turned round and given Burnley the go ahead - you never know, as I doubt McNally would allow him and the board to be blackmailed.

I think more likely is that Lambert agreed a transfer fund and strategy a long time ago and that he is happy to work with that knowing its the best our club can afford. He never intended to leave and didn''t realise what a fuss he was going to stir up by not knocking it all on the head yesterday morning. He probably thought saying he was happy with the club''s statement would be clear enough but by the evening they realised everything was going crazy and they had to release a further statement just to spell it out for us all.

A similar idea here but involving Hoolahan:

http://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk/interactive/board/message.php?pid=1435565

I guess we will never know but I am happy Lambert is still with us. ILWT